Saturday, July 23

Sunday baking project - banana chip + chocolate chip buttermilk muffins (beat the banana price hike!)



Two things are going on with me and the shopping at the moment.  First thing is I've run out of bananas in my freezer (and I had a 4kg stash!) and secondly I'm a bit in love with buttermilk.  I see it and have a compulsion to buy it because it makes everything I bake beautiful.   You can make makeshift buttermilk if you put a splash of white vinegar (and I mean a little bit!) in the bottom of a cup measure and fill it up and leave it for about five minutes.... but I'm buying mine with freakish regularity....

So with these two things in mind and my splurge on Hershey mini-choc chips ($6 a packet from DJ's food hall) you only need a little to go along way so I think these are a worthy investment if you can get your hands on them.  Otherwise regular chocolate chips will do the job too!

I'm having banana withdrawals (never mind the kids, they look longingly over them when we see them at farmgate) but I buy a few and share them in slices... too expensive otherwise!  Banana chips on the other hand aren't expensive at all - $2 for a bag, and the first batch I made I used 1 cup of - second batch I used 2 cups, some whole and some chopped up - that's a good combination and just enough banana - the tops are  real 'muffin tops' too - a little chewy and sweet - that's what the brown sugar brings :)  so let them go a little crispy!

So give it a go this week - put them in the school lunches - sub the chocolate for oats if you don't want to send your kids to school with chocolate...


Ingredients
2 cups banana chips
2 1/2 cups self raising flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 egg
2 tb canola oil
1/2 cup chocolate chips


Method:
Preheat oven to 190 degrees c

Either with a knife or in the food processor, process/chop up 1 cup of the banana chips until they are in small pieces.


Mix together the flour, egg, sugars, banana chips (whole and chopped), buttermilk, oil and choc chips together until it comes to a smooth batter

Pour into cupcake/muffin casings and bake for 20-25 minutes

Leave to cool in the tray for about 10 minutes, then remove and cool completely before storing.

 Store in airtight container for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 2 months!
This could totally cure your (or your kids) banana cravings for a fraction of the cost!  Are you baking today?
Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

haha - I read the heading and thought - "oh yes!!!!! she's using LOLLY bananas!!!!!!!" Don't worry that they don't taste anything like bananas:) I have a lolly addiction. Seriously though - they look great and I've put banana chips on my shopping list:)

Amie on July 24, 2011 at 9:39 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Great idea!!! I am going to give these a go too :o)

Mandy on July 24, 2011 at 9:48 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That is a fabulous idea! Thanks, will definitely utilise it :)

Corrie on July 24, 2011 at 3:31 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

love buttermilk! love it!

Barn House Antiques on July 24, 2011 at 7:21 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

buttermilk is so awesome. I use it all the time!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Loving the look of these! Do the banana chips stay crunchy through baking though, or do they soften?


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015