Friday, July 22

Try it this weekend: Cheese Fondue



If you lived the sixties and seventies you'd remember fondue.  Fondue also had a brief revival in the early naughties, where I first became familiar with preparing it.  These were the days for me that hubby and I were in blissful domesticity, sans kids.    I had an old fondue set, I picked up at my local vinnies and we would make chocolate and cheese fondues sometimes for friends, and sometimes just for us.

When we got married, we put a fondue set on our bridal registry, and lo and behold we got two... one stainless steel and one in cast iron.  Needless to say my orange gem was liberated back to vinnies.. but I decided to keep the book that came with it....


And on the inside the inscription which I love... 'To Diane, for ME, from John'

Clearly, this man loved fondue.  If you don't have a fondue pot, you can use a regular saucepan but you need to be sure that your hob/stove can be set to a low setting, and then you have to eat quick (not hard to do promise!). The beauty of a fondue set is it comes with a burner stand, so you can light a burner with some fuel (methylated spirits) and keep it slowly simmering whilst you dip in..

Ingredients:
1 clove garlic
3 cups swiss cheese (I used a combination of emmental and generic swiss)
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 tsp mustard of your choice

Method:
Rub the inside of your fondue pot or saucepan with the garlic.

Add your grated cheese, wine and mustard.

Put over a very low heat, stir constantly until the cheese melts through...
 Serve with your 'dippers'   I used button mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, grilled hungarian sausage and bread cubes cut from crusty rolls.



The dipping is the fun part - double-dipping not allowed!

Have you had fondue?  What do you like to dip in or what would you like to?


Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Lavender on July 22, 2011 at 12:11 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ah, I have this exact cookbook on my shelf and the black fondue pot too. Both of them are straight from our local vinnies and I love them. Every home should have a fondue set!

Barn House Antiques on July 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I am so trying this. I could live on cheese!!

Unknown on July 23, 2011 at 9:32 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

First discovered fondue while travelling through Europe. Yummy and so simple. I was wondering if you could make it in a saucepan, thanks for the tip!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015