Wednesday, July 27

Let's warm up with a pretend blueberry danish prepared in 10 minutes!



Tell me, are you a winter person or are you lusting for spring already?  I'm a bit of a winter person, but I love spring also.  What I love about winter is cooking things like this - something that you can throw together on a whim and it makes you feel warm and lovely without a lot of effort.

Whilst it's put together much like a cobbler, to me it takes me back to SaraLee danishes.  The crispy and sweet top and almost custardy insides and ooozy fruit is go-go-GORGEOUS.    It's packed full of blueberries too - which you can tell yourself like I did, that they're full of anti-oxidants... so indulging in this gorgeous dessert which I don't even think needs cream or icecream (but don't let that stop you).. can make you feel a little spoiled whilst you can at least pretend you're being just a little bit virtuous.... you believe me right?


Ingredients
100g butter, at room temperature
zest of 1 lemon
3/4 cup caster sugar
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups frozen blueberries
2 cups self raising flour
2 tb demerara sugar


Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees c

Cream butter, caster sugar and lemon zest together until light and fluffy.

 Add buttermilk, vanilla and egg - don't worry if it looks like this!

Mix 1 cup of the flour with 1 cup of the blueberries...
Mix through your batter

 Then add your other cup of flour and blueberries, stir through.  It will be sturdy, don't panic.

Turn out into a greased flan/quiche tin.   Press into the corners.   Sprinkle with the demerara sugar...
Bake for 35-45 minutes.

Leave to cool for about 5 minutes to cool before serving..!

Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Not Quite Nigella on July 27, 2011 at 10:00 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm remembering the Sara Lee Danish now! I'm chomping at the bit for Spring I have to admit :P

KPB on July 27, 2011 at 4:39 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

GOD I love Sara Lee Danish - so bad but so good. I reckon you make a crumble type topping (like the clumpy sort you'd put on a muffin) to make it even more like it!

happyreader said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

bought the blueberries yesterday, can't wait to try this tonight. Your blog is becoming my 'go to' site for inspiration.

happyreader said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ok, made it, delicious. But how do you tell when it is cooked? It was still pretty wet and gooey inside at 45 minutes so I left it a bit longer. Think I should have taken it out though? Is it supposed to be runny inside?


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015