Friday, April 9

Fast Food on a Friday: Beer Battered fish and homemade crispy chips



Fish and chips is something we don't partake in very often as I find it's a bit hit and miss at times.  Soggy, fatty batter, chips that are either chewy or bordering on crunchy and too too TOO much salt.  I really need to be in the mood for fish and chips.

For those who might remember the ad where the woman walks away from the chips in the deep fryer to answer the phone. - remember - a) we have cordless phones and b)You seriously don't need that much oil! 'Oh my goodness, THE CHIPS'

However, not like some scaredy cats, I don't have an aversion to deep frying.  I again don't do it often (I could probably count the occasions on one hand that it happens a year) and with this method, I only half deep fry anyway.

So, here's how when I do get the hankering, I make my own fish and chips!

Chips first!
Ingredients
1 kg sebago potatoes
750ml canola oil

Method
Peel your potatoes, and then cut into 1.5 cm slices, and again as many thicknesses of 1.5 cms to make baton shapes.


In a saucepan or frypan, pour the oil to a level of 4cm deep.  Heat until it sizzles.

Drop in the chips in batches - and standby!  Cook until the edges go a light golden.  Remove and place on a baking tray lined with kitchen paper, when the last batch is done, Turn the heat off, and put your tray of chips in the refrigerator for one hour.



(at this point I prepare my fish)

20 minutes prior to serving:preheat the oven to 190 degrees c.

Remove chips from the refrigerator, take the kitchen paper off the tray, and put in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until light golden brown.

Serve.

And the fish
Ingredients
600 grams fish of choice (I used traditional shark, but I love silvery dory, that's my favourite)
1 tsp dry yeast
375 ml beer (I've used pure blonde)
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup cornflour
3/4 cup cornflour, extra
750ml canola oil

Method
In a large bowl, pour approx 1/2 cup beer into the bottom and mix in the yeast.  Leave to stand for 10 minutes until it froths up.

Add in the rest of the self raising flour, plain flour and 1/2 cup cornflour, and then gradually pour in the rest of the beer, whisking as you add.  Continue to whisk until there are no lumps.


Preheat oven if you are not reheating chips - which I assume you would be...

Heat your oil until sizzles, line a baking tray with paper towel/kitchen paper.

Dust your fish in the remaining cornflour and dip into the batter, then into the oil.  Fry for about 2-3 minutes and then turn over, then after a further 2-3 minutes on the other side, move to the baking tray.  Continue to do this until all your fish is cooked.    Remove the paper and heat for 5 minutes in the oven.






Serve with chips and my homemade tartar sauce!

You can also cook bigger quantities, but instead of reheating in the oven, put in airtight container and freeze.  You can reheat later direct from the freezer - fish for about 20 minutes, chips about 10 minutes.

Print this post in friendly format

7 lovely comments:

greenfumb on April 9, 2010 at 9:13 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That looks absolutely fantastic, shame I'm on a diet, will be grilled fish and steamed veges for me tonight
:-(

BTW I need to do a chicken feed run to TH, do you want to do a seed swap one morning next week - Wed, Thurs maybe? I still have a curry leaf plant for you.

Rina on April 9, 2010 at 3:41 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love fish and chips - but like you said, not very often. And yep, I gotta be in the mood to eat it too.

Recipe sounds great!!

nellbe on April 12, 2010 at 9:52 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

these look delicious and I am wondering out loud if I could use gluten free flour and lemondade instead of beer?

also what oil do you use?

Liss on April 12, 2010 at 12:35 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Janelle, I have no idea about GF flour?! I would go with soda water, not lemonade for the beer substitute, just drop in a little extra yeast.

Give it a try and let me know?

nellbe on April 12, 2010 at 1:25 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks Liss... I will try as you've suggested and shall let you know!

Simon Leong on April 22, 2011 at 4:49 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

i've always wondered how to get good crispy chips. so could you double deep fry them again or best to oven bake? :-)

Liss on April 22, 2011 at 4:58 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Simon Food Favourites Simon the ultimate crispy chip would be double deep-fried - but for us, this is good enough - the inside is fluffy - outer is crispy. I deplore soggy chips!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015