Tuesday, April 27

Preserve Me: Fig Jam


I'm only a recent convert to the lover's fruit, the fruit of gods, the fig.  They weren't in my home growing up and since I just don't see them around..  unless they are dried.  Now I have found my new love.  The sweet juiciness, the creamy texture - it doesn't taste at all how you expect it to from first sight.

The idea of fig jam amuses me - the acronym of 'F**k I'm gorgeous, just ask me' of the 80's - and recently having picked up a whole gorgeous tray, I set myself to work making fig jam. (Yes,, I'm gorgeous!) If you're a little dubious, let me tell you - if you like strawberry jam, you'll love fig jam.


Ingredients:
2 kg fresh figs, stalk cut off, and cut into 1/8'ths
Juice of one large lemon
60 g pectin (I used jamsetta - it's a setting agent in powdered sachet you can purchase from the baking aisle with the cake decorating bits)
5 cups white sugar


Method:
Sterilise enough jars to make fill 2 litres of jam.  I place them in a large stockpot with cold water filled to totally submerge the jars and lids, then bring to the boil, and continue to boil for 5 minutes, remove with tongs and set aside.

Place all the figs and lemon juice in your empty stockpot.  Mash with a potato masher to get to a chunky-sloppy consistency, and then add the pectin.   Bring to a simmer for 20 minutes, stirring at 5 minute intervals.

Add the sugar, and continue to simmer for a further 20 minutes or until it has reached the right consistency.  (i.e. place a plate in the freezer for 5 minutes, take out, drop some jam on the plate, if it becomes jelly-like it's done)

Skim off the white foamy'scum off the top before you bottle.

Pour into your sterlised jars, seal with your lids well.  Clean your stockpot and then fill up with water, bring to boil and place your jars of jam in the pot and allow to process for 15 minutes (i.e. boil).  This will destroy any of the bacteria inside the jar.

Keeps well for up to 9 months.  Refrigerate once opened and keep in fridge for up to 2 months.
Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Chantelle {fat mum slim} on April 27, 2010 at 5:48 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have to admit, I've never tried figs... although I've wanted to, I've chickened out with fear.

You may have convinced me to give it a go though. x

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on April 27, 2010 at 7:51 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Haha how sheltered am I but I had never heard of that acronym until recently! lol Kudos to you for keeping them for a jam, they'd go straight down my waiting gullet :P

Amy @ cookbookmaniac on April 28, 2010 at 12:14 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I also have never tried figs. I'm going to have to seek them out.

Your jam looks amazing!

Nisha on April 28, 2010 at 10:55 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

LOVE figs but they dont last more than 5mins in this house- how could you resist eating them all?!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015