Tuesday, April 20

Back to school - Raisin and oat cookies



Eloise is back at school today, after a two and a half week break - it will be nice to be back in a routine again, and the dynamic of two kids at home is much more peaceful than three.  Not that it's Eloise who's an 'issue' as such it's the competitiveness of three kids.  I look forward to getting a lot more done!

With school lunches I do like the pick and mix approach - so I tend to bake and freeze.  Scrolls, muffins, muesli bars and slices just something to add in with the sandwich, quiche, sushi or pastry to give it some variety, for me and for my kids.  Although breakfast I don't deviate much from our 'norm' I don't like repetitive lunches or dinners.   Just me I guess!

These are yummy just out of the oven and even cold these will impress, they are crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside.  Perfect dunked in a glass of milk right?  I haven't quite grown out of that..


Makes 60 - freeze in lots of 12 in the freezer if you like!
Ingredients
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup raisins
250g softened butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 1/2 cups rolled oats

Method:
In a mixing bowl, whisk the vanilla essence into your eggs, add the raisins.  Set aside covered for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 200 degrees c

In your mixer or large mixing bowl, cream the butter with the brown and white sugar until light and fluffy, add your flour, baking powder and bicarbonate soda,  the mix until well combined.

Lastly add the rolled oats and mix well.

Roll into balls with the same diameter of a 50c piece (about 3.5cm) and place on greased baking trays with about 8cm between each ball.

Bake in oven for 15 minutes - I bake 50/50 time on bottom to top rack - I rotate them as I take one tray out/put one tray in.

Cool on rack for 10 minutes.  Eat a little warm or cold, alllll gooood.

Hey if you Sydney-siders find yourself at a loose end today - come down to Ben and Jerry's in Manly and have free icecream! It's their Free Cone Day - 1pm-8pm!  I'm taking the little frills along!
Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on April 20, 2010 at 9:21 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ahh so these are the oatmeal cookies you mentioned yesterday-they look great! :D

Katy on April 20, 2010 at 11:55 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

They look great!

Corrie on April 20, 2010 at 7:00 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

yum trying these this week! they look delicious and I need a break from my usual muesli cookies (and so do the kids I think!)

Corrie on April 21, 2010 at 6:09 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I can now report back that these were totally delicious! so yummy and too big for my usual tupperware cookie container so had to get out my big cake taker and chuck them all in there

delicious and lost count of how many I ate but I'll be doing them again!!!!!!!

thanks for the great recipe!

corrie:)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015