Thursday, April 15

In Season: Pears - Easy pear flan



oooh. This is so pretty.  So so pretty.

It's hard to believe there's really only about 15 minutes in preparation really.  This week I've been super tired, I'm really not 'sleep deprivation fit' as I used to be.  How did I survive those YEARS of 2-5 hours sleep a night? How?  My utter love and hugs to those doing this at the moment.  It's really torture in its' purest form.

So, pears are in season and last weekend at the farm they were plentiful and cheap. $1.50 a kilo, beautiful flavoursome bartlett pears.  Bartletts are super sweet, but they do have a tendency to go mushy so you should eat and cook with them immediately when they start to soften up.

So if you do have some Bartletts that need to be used, this is a great recipe.  It's one of those cakes that looks like you've spent a lot of time nurturing it, when in fact you've made it with your eyes closed.  If I can make it on next to no sleep and it can turn out like this, imagine, anyone can make this and make it look gorgeous in any state.

I'm having a piece today with a cup of tea and a long sit on the sunny deck watching the kids kill play with each other.  Another lovely sunny day in Sydney is forecasted - bliss.


Ingredients:
1 kg bartlett pears (or any other soft full flavoured pears), peeled, cored and sliced
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/4 tsp mixed spice

Method:
Preheat oven to 190 degrees c

Grease a small springform pan or round baking tin and dust with plan flour.

In a mixing bowl, mix eggs and milk together until well combined.

Add the sugar, continue to mix in well

Then add in the flour and the mixed spice and beat very well until it resembles a thick-ish batter.

Lastly, gently fold in the pears, ensuring all of the pear is covered in the mix.

Pour into your tin and tap on the edges to ensure all moves evenly into the tin.

Bake for 45-55 minutes until golden brown on top.  Leave to cool in tin for 20 minutes, then remove from tin and serve warm with icecream or dust with icing sugar and serve cold with a cup of tea!


Print this post in friendly format

19 lovely comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You know what? I may actually be able to make this! It looks delicious (and easy) thank you for sharing x

KH on April 15, 2010 at 11:17 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

YUM! I made a scrummy apple cake the other day, but I think this might be a good option next time I feel the need to bake a cake!

Corrie on April 16, 2010 at 7:43 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

yum! I am so making this over the weekend! I've been loving a pear cut up for dessert but I think this is going to taste sooo much better!

thanks for sharing!

Corrie:)

Lou on April 16, 2010 at 8:38 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Mmmmmm...I just have this coming out of the oven! If it tastes half as good as it smells and looks, I can't wait to tuck in! It's going to be hard to wait 20 more minutes...

Thanks for posting this one Liss!

KPB on April 17, 2010 at 6:31 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

So I'm here via Retromummy and MAN if I hadn't been baking all day would be in the kitchen making this now. NOW!

Looks FAB.

Unknown on April 17, 2010 at 7:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I followed a link to here from Corrie at Retromummy. I now have one of these in the oven! Yum!

Cathie on April 17, 2010 at 11:35 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oh Liss, nice one!
hope you have more energy soon, you really are a super mum.

Vodka Mom on April 18, 2010 at 12:23 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

my mouth is watering. I'll be RIGHT over.

arista on April 18, 2010 at 9:08 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I thought I'd done all my weekend shopping, but now I'm going to have to stop off at the shops and buy some pears so I can try this.

Aussie Maria on April 19, 2010 at 10:32 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Found your blog via Retro Mummy cause this recipe looks so very delicious

Amie on April 22, 2010 at 6:25 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

WOW this looks great, I too came from Retro Mummy's blog. Would I be able to use tinned pears?
Have a great day and thanks for sharing :o)
Amie

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks Liss, Will be making this one for sure!!xo (Sam)

Miz on April 23, 2010 at 12:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This is absolutely delicious. I made it the other night when I could see my pears starting to bruise. I couldn't wait to eat it so when it came out of the oven at 11pm I treated myself and had a piece with ice cream. YUM. The kids loved it too, will definately be making it again. Thanks :o)

Debbacakes on April 29, 2010 at 6:26 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

A great easy cake, i used my leftover yellow pears and it was divine! Hot or cold! I came from Retro Mummy, AWESOME!

Liss on April 29, 2010 at 10:00 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks everyone for the wonderful feedback on the recipe! I'm actually making it again now with drained tinned apricots - smells good!

So yes, Arnie you can used tinned pears/fruit - just make sure it's well drained! :)

Amie on May 11, 2010 at 6:18 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Just put this in the oven :o) Can't wait to taste it! Liss thanks for letting me know that I can use tin fruit.
I will let you know what I think.

Al_Pal on June 11, 2010 at 5:42 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks & sounds delicious! Here via @MegsyT.
Bookmarked! :D

Евгения (Alfa4bravo) on June 13, 2011 at 9:07 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I make something alike with apples. Tasty! But apples must not be very sweet.

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Just making this now found this thru retro mummy !!!!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015