Saturday, March 20

Sourdough Adventure


Hi everyone!  I hope you're having a fabarooney weekend!?

It's been warm here today - it's like the summer is saying 'hey! don't forget me OK?' but to be honest I'm quite looking forward to autumn and the crisp mornings we are having now are lovely.  Pulling up the covers and feeling snuggly but not freezing.  All good!

With my obsession with bread making I've had this summer has made me a bit loopy - I mean who in their right mind sees a forecast for humid weather and gets enthused about baking?  Um, that would be me because yeast is so much easier to rise in the humid weather and the process goes so much quicker.

So now I'm thinking, I'm ready to make my sourdough.  From scratch.

So what exactly does that involve?  You actually make yourself a starter.  And that means you actually let water and flour ferment in a jar, then use that instead of yeast.  You keep 'feeding' your starter and you can make sourdough practically whenever you want, flour and time permitting.  There's also tons of varieties of sourdough.

So, I'm going to start next week, say Friday... feel free to join me - You need some (preferably organic) white flour and rye flour.  You can pick these up from health food shops.  You're also going to need a largish (1 litre or so) jar with a large rim.

Getting excited about this!  Sourdough toast, scrambled eggs on sour dough, pumpkin sour dough, onion sour dough with soup... mmmm.
Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Rina on March 21, 2010 at 4:58 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oooh, can't wait to hear more about this - I'm wanting to try my own starter too!!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on March 22, 2010 at 8:51 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

For a moment I thought you'd perfected the Poilane P! :O I'm thinking of doing that too but then I am worried I will kill it-or my usual thing of overfeeding it :P

Liss on March 22, 2010 at 8:53 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh I wish Lorraine lol!!

C'mon you can do it!! :P It will be FUN OK?!!! :P


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015