Thursday, March 18

Chocolate Coca-Cola Cupcakes



I saw a recipe that had coca cola slice with marshmallows and I was intrigued.  Coca cola?  In a cake?  I have seen a ham roast, pork ribs, hell I'd even seen coca cola polish silverware but never in a cake!

It felt strange to make I'll admit and when the little cupcakes came out of the oven I couldn't resist but try one (warm) they were chocolately and spongey and almost mousse-like.  Deliciously cute I'd say - Ugly (to look at) but interesting.

For the frosting I tried to replicate the Coca-Cola colours - my piping bag exploded all over my kitchen.  With my two four year olds scrambling for the fall out!  So I managed to get a few looking OK, and rest looking like a train-smash and let's just say two very sugared up frills!  Lots and lots of water was consumed afterwards (and Mummy had some diet coke to recover!)

Aaaah another day in the frilly kitchen!   A yummy result in any case - I've sent them off to work with hubby - the boys don't care if they're pretty or not!

Ingredients:
240gr plain flour
180gr white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
100gram mini marshmallows
220g butter
2 tb cocoa powder or powdered cooking chocolate
1/2 cup coca cola (I used diet coke - ha!)

To ice
200g butter, softened
1/2 cup milk
400g icing mixture

Method:
In a saucepan mix the coca cola, cocoa powder and butter over a simmering heat.  Dissolve butter and then take off the heat and set aside to cool.



When the chocolate and coke mix is cool, preheat oven to 180 degrees c

In a mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, vanilla and eggs, beat until smooth and light.


Add the chocolate cola mixture and then the marshmallows


Pour into small cupcake papers (I have used Robert Gordon mini upright ones - if using regular papers place them in a muffin tray) and place in oven for 15-20 minutes.  Allow to cool.

To prepare the icing, divide the butter into half.

Place the butter into your mixer and beat until smooth.  Add half the icing mxture and gradually add a little milk until you get a stiff yet creamy consistency.  Take half the mixture out and set aside.  Add red food colouring to the remainder and mix through.  Set aside and clean your mixer and blade.

Then repeat with butter creaming process and adding the remaining icing mixture and 2 tb of cocoa.

In your piping bag or ziplock bag, layer your icing on to close to the nozzle/corner. Cut corner off ziplock bag or attach nozzle and ice like you like!



Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Stephanie Appleton on March 18, 2010 at 11:16 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

We serve a version of this where I work....So delicious!

Jaime on March 20, 2010 at 1:52 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I can't quite come at putting coke into food!

I might just try this one day, because I'm pretty sure I've had the coke glazed ham and it was yummy.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015