Thursday, March 11

Toffee nut crunch - the ultimate icecream topping


I'm an icecream freak.  In fact I never really loved icecream until a flatmate I had, Jodie, would buy it regularly and as we watched Melrose place (ahem!) she would always sit down with me and a bowl of icecream.  It became our ritual.

Nowadays I still eat icecream, I make icecream - I LOVE icecream.  But I realise I'm pretty boring about icecream.  That all changed this week when I made this.  Mmmm mmmm mmmmm!  Perfect on vanilla icecream.  Hubby wants to try it with coffee/mocha icecream...

It takes no time to make, and I bagged mine up to give away - I think.  It might not make it.  I might need to make some more!

Ingredients:
2 cups mixed nuts of your choice (I used peanuts, walnuts, macadamia nuts and pecans)
3 cups white sugar
3/4 cup water

Method
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c

Place nuts on baking tray and pop into the oven and lightly roast (about 5 minutes)

Place the sugar and water in a saucepan put on stove and heat on highest setting until the mixture starts to boil.  Do not stir!


Take nuts out, and on another baking tray, grease liberally with butter.


When  sugar boiled stir occasionally - and continue to boil until it turns a light brown colour (like toffee, derrr.. about 10 minutes)  Remove from heat and toss in your nuts into the toffee, then quickly transfer the mixture to your greased tray and leave for 5 minutes.





Warp your tray to crack the toffee and use a spatula to remove it from the tray.  Keep in airtight container for 2 weeks (if it lasts that long)




Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on March 11, 2010 at 11:54 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I make these sorts of things with a degreee of caution-they're very moreish! :P


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015