Wednesday, March 3

Lime Coconut Cake



OK I have a little confession to make.  I love second-hand-thrift shops.  But I never go there on there on the prowl for shoes or coats or such.. no it's kitchenware and cookbooks.  I do on occasion pick up other stuff but invariably you'll find me at the kitchenware looking at a vintage tupperware this or an original Margaret Fulton cookbook there.

Last week my Doctors' office moved.  Next door to a new enormous Salvos store.  And even though I could barely live, I couldn't help myself but go in.  I found two darling antique ring or bundt baking pans.  They look like they've seen shinier days but I look at them and wonder what wonderful things have baked in them.  I buy them for $1 each.  Since then I've been laying in bed thinking about how I will christen them.

They've had a good scrub, and now one has been christened -  I made Delia's gorgeous Lime Coconut Cake.  Limes are plentiful at the moment, and cheaper than usual, so it's a perfect time to make it.

Ingredients
Cake
2 limes, zest and juice
50 grams dessicated coconut
175 grams butter, softened
175 grams caster sugar
175 grams self raising flour
3 eggs, beaten

Icing
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
1 lime, zest and juice

Method
Zest 2 limes, set aside zest

Juice the limes and add the coconut to the lime juice and leave to sit for one hour.

Preheat oven to 170 degrees c

Grease, paper baking tin (I used a 20cm bundt)
Sift flour into large mixing bowl, add coconut, butter, zest, eggs and sugar.




Beat with electric or stand mixture until light and fluffy

Pour into baking tray and smooth into corners/edges and flatten down with a spatula

Bake for 35-40 minute until the centre springs back.


Let cool until completely cold.

To ice, Zest your lime first.  I used a citrus zester, but you can zest however you like!  Sift sugar into a bowl, and with a fork, mix in the juice until it resembles a thick paste, spread over the cake with a knife.  Sprinkle the zest and a little bit of coconut and serve.



Print this post in friendly format

7 lovely comments:

PinkPatentMaryJanes on March 3, 2010 at 8:31 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wow, that is JUST what I feel like.

Heather on March 3, 2010 at 8:51 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love old bakeware too. I love thinking of all the (in my case) scones that have been baked on those scone trays before me. Did they win a prize in a show?

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on March 3, 2010 at 4:04 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

haha Mr NQN tears his hair out when I try and go into antique markets etc as he knows I'll come out with something but we have no room. My excuse of "But it will make a great prop" is wearing thin lol

greenfumb on March 3, 2010 at 6:19 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That is my most very favourite cake in the whole world, I am just waiting for my limes to be ready so that I can make one.

I work near one Vinnies on Tues/Wed and a different one on Thurs. At least once a week I visit one and buy kitchen equipment. I love the way you can get good quality bakeware that wasn't made in China and my favourite purchase was a 1958 GH compendium for $10 - hilarious!

Gabrielle on March 3, 2010 at 9:56 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks delicious. You can never have too many baking tins :)

Hope you're starting to feel better!

Kristia@FamilyBalanceSheet on March 3, 2010 at 10:51 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm so jealous that you can grow limes. I live in the Northeast of the states...no limes here.

That cake looks delicious.

schwester said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum. My lime tree is going berserk at the moment, so this recipe looks like just the ticket :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015