Friday, March 26

Sourdough Adventure - making Starter


Hello friends!

I hope you got your rye flour and plain flour, jar at the ready.  If you haven't there's still time!

About the starter:
The starter basically will perform the same purpose as yeast does in conventional bread.  It is basically fermented flour and water.  There is a method to the madness  - and you love bread, and sourdough in particular it's a worthwhile cause, and not much effort really!

So let's go!


Today you will need:
Your jar
Some cling film
A metal spoon
Your flour


Method:
Boil your kettle and then pour boiling watter into your clean glass jar and  leave for 10 minutes with your spoon resting inside. This is to ensure all residue/germs that might be on the spoon are gone.


Next - and people we are going to do this same thing today, tomorrow and the nextday (i.e. 3 days)


To your jar - add
35 grams plain flour
15 grams rye flour
50 grams water

Stir with your metal spoon to combine and cover with cling film,  Leave on your windowsill or somewhere warm - but not hot - between 20 and 30 degrees.

Now people who have told me here, by email and otherwise that you are joining, please link yourself/a photo of yours, so we can all do it together, I and I'm sure other readers woul love to see it all coming along!  Feel free to invite others along too!




Psst I'm posting over at Make it from Scratch today - check out my Mini Cheaty French Vanilla Flans
Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella on March 26, 2010 at 11:53 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Eeek, I forgot about this! Although a part of me is apprehensive about looking after something live (in case I kill it of course) :P

Jenn on March 27, 2010 at 2:26 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This sounds easy enough. I don't have rye flour, can I do it with All Purpose flour or does the rye provide some necessary ingredient for the fermentation process???

Liss on March 27, 2010 at 9:33 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Jennifer I don't see why not!? It might just differ the 'real' sourdough rye taste, but the texture whould be identical and THAT is what I love about sourdough don't you?


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015