Sunday, March 14

Sunday Baking Project: Orange Sour Cream 'Bribe' Cake



I like to call this one my 'bribe cake' as it totally works.  I signed myself up for the P&C (like the PTA for you US folks) at my daughters' school and our first meeting was a dismal attendance.  Surprised me as it is such a 'community school' but the most surprising part is I was the only mother from kindergarten to attend.

So the days before the next meeting I started asking people to come along.  And promised this cake.  Success !  It's lovely and fluffy and light, and kind of melts in your  mouth.  Many appreciative gestures as people were not talking whilst eating! 

Is there a dish you make to 'bribe'?  (your kids, hubby, family, friends, workmates?)

Ingredients
Cake
250 grams softened butter
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 tb orange rind
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream

Icing
2 cups icing mixture
1/8 cup orange juice
grated/curled orange rind to decorate if desired.
Method:
Preheat oven to 160 degrees C fan forced.

Finely grate rind from orange, set aside.  Juice orange, set aside separately.

Cream butter, sugar together until pale and fluffy.    Add egg yolks one by one mixing well between each beating, then vanilla and orange rind, baking powder and bicab sodaand finally the flour 1/2 cup at a time until all well combined. transfer to mixing bowl and wash the mixer bowl and beater.
Beat eggwhites until stiff, fold through the dough.  Lastly fold through sour cream.

Grease and flour thoroughly bundt pan or 20cm springform tin.

Spoon mixture into pan and pat down to an even level.

Bake in oven for 1 hour or until cooked through/golden on top.

Mix icing mixture together and drizzle over cool cake.

Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Katy on March 14, 2010 at 8:46 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

It looks delicious!! I'd love to get involved with our P&C but the primary P&C meet at the same time as 'reading' with the kinder kids on Friday, so I can't go, let alone take 2 uncontrollable littlies with me!!

But I figure I'm helping in other ways.

Cake stall this Wednesday!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015