Thursday, March 4

'Get well soon' Homemade Lemon Drops


As I've been rabbiting on recently, I've been unwell for some weeks.  Just my immune system gone on a fabulous holiday overseas without the rest of me I imagine, but ya know, I'm a bit over it!  I can see light at the end of the tunnel and a sore throat and lethargy are still hangers on so when I saw this recipe for 'barley sugar' in my CWA cookbook, I thought I'd give it a whirl.

It's not really barley sugar but it is lovely and soothing on the throat.  Next time I will add honey I think, and I'll add it to the recipe as an option for you.

Now, if you've got a loved one who is a bit under the weather, I cannot imagine anything more loving to give or more comforting to recieve than some homemade get well wishes like these!

What do you crave when you're sick?

Ingredients
450 gr caster sugar
1/2 lemon, rind and juice
150 ml water
2 tb honey (optional)

Method
Peel 1/2 lemon - reserve rind


Juice the half lemon and reserve juice
In a saucepan mix water and caster sugar, heat until sugar dissolves, add lemon rind.

Boil until mixture reaches 125 degrees c.  If you don't have a sugar thermometer, you can tell if it's ready by taking a teaspoon of mixture and drop it into a glass of cold water.  If it becomes hard immediately, it's ready.

Then take off the heat, add the lemon juice and a few drops of whatever colouring you like  (and honey) and put back on the heat until it boils again.

Remove rinds and pour out onto lightly oiled tray.  Leave to cool for about 2-3 minutes and then when you can touch, roll into balls or shape you like - allow to cool for another 5-10 minutes until completely cool.


Wrap in cellophane and then into sterilised jar.


Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Christie on March 4, 2010 at 10:25 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Great idea Liss, how did you know I was sick? Now who can I give this recipe to so that they can make them for me......? lol

Krysbrem on March 4, 2010 at 11:41 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss they look like a taste & enjoyable treat. Good thing I have no cellophane LOL


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015