Thursday, December 2

Handmade Class teacher or group present - the lolly wreath


A friend of mine Di, has been telling me some for some time about lolly wreaths.  She has made them for her daughters teachers each year and they are gratefully received.  So this year I thought I would give it a go and give it to the lovely support staff at the school office (As I have Eloise's teachers' present sorted)... but I had one problem.

What I thought I needed couldn't be found.  I wanted a plain wire wreath with no nothing on it - you know like floristry wire.  A coathanger was not going to cut the mustard - so I set out to find a substitute. And I found it.

I just bought a regular el cheapo wreath from Spotlight and removed all the ugly decorations (which were incidentally hot glue gunned on - ick)  So the removal of such items was a huge improvement
So what you need is the wreath and about 1kg (or 2 if you like a really spangly wreath!) of toffees or wrapped lollies.  Use some wire ties (you know, the ones at the bottom of your drawer where you keep your garbage bags and glad wrap..) and twist around one end of a lolly.  Then twist the other end of a tie around the end of another lolly..


Then twist it around a branch of your wreath.  I did one pair of lollies per branch, but go for your life - whatever works!


The cost of this:
Wreath $14.00
Sweets $7.00
Ribbon $2.50

Total 23.50 (3 staff = less than $8 each)

I did notice however that spotlight had mini wreaths for under $5 - so you could make small ones for friends, colleagues, teachers or neighbours.  (I don't think my garbos would appreciate one - they are too used to their beers!)

Who outside your family do you gift for?  


Print this post in friendly format

7 lovely comments:

Charmaine on December 2, 2010 at 8:58 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss, what a great idea. I'll have to remember this for next year (note to self: create a Xmas bookmark folder). I like to make stuff to giveaway. This year I'm planning to try Corrie's rocky road. Looks delicious!

Melissa on December 2, 2010 at 8:59 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

We always give the kindy teachers and our neighbours a present, and it's usually a box of chocolates. But this idea is so much nicer! I think I'll give it a try, just not sure how many lollies I'd have left if my boys helped me put them togther though...

Di on December 2, 2010 at 9:10 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

No, no, no, no, NOOOOOOO!!!

You get a PLAIN hoop from spotlight!!

Sheesh woman! I'll do a photo by photo as I make some this weekend.

Liss on December 2, 2010 at 12:24 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I know Di - but after hunting high and low for 2 weeks (and even asking you, twitter, fb for anyone who could source me a one) I had to tweak! I'm running out of time! Spotlight will not order it in for me as it is seasonal stock. Forgive me?!

Di on December 2, 2010 at 12:56 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Only if you upload a photo of how it SHOULD look :P

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

i saw the naked wreaths in my local bigw for just under $10... so that's another place you can get them!

Jasmine1485 on December 20, 2010 at 3:17 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi :)

I just posted about the lolly wreath I made: http://ntfancy.blogspot.com/2010/12/tasty-festive-wreath.html

I thought I'd add my 2 cents and say my friend and I used wire coathangers. We just stretched the bottom part out into a circle, then it even has a hook built in to hang it up with :) It's probably not as fancy as a storebought one, but it's very cheap and you can't really tell once you have the lollies on!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015