Monday, December 27

Frilly Christmas 2010 - Part two - Christmas food traditions


I thought I'd show you how I have brought in Christmas traditions of my family growing up, into traditions of my own family...

Now this one is really a present - the Cherry Chomper was a gift to me from Santa - Thank you Santa..!  Now I can make my very berry cherry cake and my vanilla cherry cake so easily - this gadget is the BEST.  You put the cherry in the mouth part, press down the body, it removes the seed and puts it in the little bin-thing in the bottom and you take out your cherry and EAT it.   No mess!  (You can get them at good kitchen retailers for about $20)

The other reason I showed you the photograph of the berries is because it is a bit of a tradition to have lots of fresh fruit, along with croissants and jam for Christmas breakfast.   It's easy-peasy and good that the kids dose up on fruit before everything else... (below is my fig jam and my strawberry jam)


When breakfast is cleared away then the kitchen table is laid out with Christmas fare..


This is my Nan's Christmas cake which she makes one for every family each year - soaking her fruit for a month!  It's amazing! 

 Here's the chilli honey cashew nuts I made this week along with fruit bon-bons.  I always associate these along with the below columbines and scorched almonds...

Here's some of my loot - my sister who knows me so well gave me the cookbook and 'Home made' cookie and pastry stamp, and my Mum gave me the new preserve book, some teatowels and some other goodies too :)
Silly hats are a must on Christmas day...

I love Laura's combination of two hats here... hehe.


Here are the frills with the Christmas bon-bons - I mean wearing silly paper hats is part of the drill too isn't it?

And of course Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without a cold Christmas lunch - including prawns and ham - and for hubby - his favourite - pork!

And how could we forget TRIFLE???

We didn't have room for pudding on Christmas day - but I promise next year I will share that recipe with you - it is my Nan's recipe and I've got to say I've tried many-a-pudding and everyone who has tried it agrees - it's the BEST.   I've been eating it every day since!

Do you have Christmas food traditions?
Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Kat on December 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

well it looks like you all had a very lovely christmas lunch. And I agree christmas isn't christmas without paper hats and silly bon bon jokes.

Mammamusing on December 27, 2010 at 9:56 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Seafood is our Xmas tradition.

When we have Xmas in Melbourne with the inlaws I do the early morning seafood run the day before Xmas and stock up big on prawns, salmon, scallops etc.

Hubby then cooks it all on the bbq and we serve it with salad.

As I don't eat red meat I rely on someone else in the family to supply everyone else with Xmas ham .

We also have a Xmas tradition of eating up big on pre-lunch pickies and a big lunch that there is never any room or interest in dessert.

Hence we never bother with more than a platter of cherries and a bowl of chocolates.

posie blogs Jennie McClelland on December 29, 2010 at 9:02 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

All looks fantastic & we barely had dessert as we were so full. We cheated/ relaxed this year with Christmas Day just we 6 at home in Canberra, then visited family yesterday in Sydney, i loved it!! We are still enjoying the left over Turkey, Ham & Pork, all the salads & vegetables disappeard on the day!! Oh & we had Octopus too, delicious!! A different menu this year, mix of Italian & Greek, the children loved it. Love Posie

Christie - Childhood 101 on December 30, 2010 at 12:15 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My Nanna used to make the most amazing trifle, it is definitely one of my childhood holiday memories. Unfortunately she passed away this year so I must learn to make it before next Christmas :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015