Sunday, December 5

Sunday baking project: Festive toasted muesli



Toasted muesli is one of life's luxury in my book.  I don't eat it often but when I am working in an office, I buy a box to eat breakky at my desk (remember I told you about my bad breakfast habits?).  Lately I've had a bit of a craving for yoghurt with fruit puree and toasted muesli.  Haven't been able to shake it, so finally I bit the bullet and decided to make some.

Now ordinarily I wouldn't use all these ingredients - I'd probably stick to flaked almonds and shredded coconut or freeze dried strawberries - but I thought hey - let's go a bit festive right?  I had the ingredients on hand and I'm glad I did - it's a yummy alternative.

So if you want to serve yourself or your family, or even bundle up in beautiful brown paper bags and attractive ribbon for Christmas gifts?   Good idea huh?


Ingredients:
3 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup cranberries, roughly chopped
1/3 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
2 tb olive oil
2 tb butter
1 tb maple syrup
2 tb brown sugar
1 tb white sugar


Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees c

In a small saucepan over low heat melt butter with oil, maple syrup and butter, set aside.

In a bowl, mix oats, coconut and cranberries

Pour saucepan contents into the bowl and mix into a wet sand type consistency.

Spread out on a baking tray covered with baking paper and into the oven for about 6 minutes. Take out, stir around and put back in the oven (be careful not to let it burn!) do this 3-4 times and then allow to cool completely.

Store in an airtight container until ready to use - to serve with either yoghurt or just with milk - yummy!


Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on December 6, 2010 at 2:58 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

hehe nothing wrong with those ingredients! In fact they sound downright delicious!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015