Sunday, October 23

The rollercoaster weekend... in Melbourne


I know there's a very healthy rivalry with Sydney Melbourne, but honestly you are so charming.   Sydney is my part of my heart and who I am but I always love to visit Melbourne, and this trip to Melbourne was the most wonderful time I've ever had.

And although it rained for the first two days, I forgive you Melbourne.   Nothing could have dampened my days with my gorgeous family, who I met after flying in from Manila last Thursday night and attending the Problogger Conference on Friday (more on that later) I thought my heart was going to burst into a million pieces when I saw Hubby and my frills approach in a taxi to stay at the apartment I'd booked for us to have the weekend together before I had to fly back....

There were tears all round, they leapt out of the taxi and in my arms, frantic kissing and squeezing, I couldn't pull myself away.  Working long days, 6 days a week for weeks on end it seems I was desperately needing my family.   I'm a real sook.  I haven't seen them for three weeks.   15 minutes of Skype a day with my kids just isn't enough for me, and it's not enough for them.

So that night we ignored bed-time and set out for a late night bite.  We dropped the bags in and headed for a lovely dinner, nothing special but I remember sitting there staring at their faces and feeling so grateful.  

Next day (yesterday - Saturday)  we headed to the best place for breakfast - in fact we went back today.  The service was amazing and my husband who is a very fussy coffee person said it's the best vanilla latte he's had in his life, they were great with the kids too... Cafe Andiamo if you are in town..

One of the eleventy-billion baby-cinos consumed on the weekend...

And red cups too!  
Yesterday we hit the shops, because when it's raining in Melbourne what else is there to do?  I bought 3 pairs of new shoes, I was the silly person who took only 1 pair of work sandals to Manila - these ones:

- and found these on sale for 25% off in Myer yesterday

Thank you Diana Ferrari for making such comfortable shoes.... I bought them in black, latte and blue the only colour I didn't buy was red.. which is my favourite colour, not sure why actually...

We literally shopped until we dropped:  
Laura clearly has my genes, I tire of shopping pretty easily...
A perk-me-up was a carriage ride around Melbourne, I would totally recommend this - although $60 for 15 minutes or $100 for 30 minutes when you get 5 people in the carriage and you see Melbourne in style I think it's worth it.. the kids LOVED it!


The only downer to the weekend was going to a restaurant/bar which had the worst service I'd ever had.  And to top that off the worst food.  Not only could we not order half/half pizzas, we weren't allowed to take any leftovers with us and in hindsight a good thing because my hubby informed me that he'd tasted better McCains Pizzas.  My crab spaghetti was too oily and my hubby's main size of pork belly looked more like an entree.  That's the only time you let me down Melbourne.  $184 later for five of us... money better spent at Pizza Hut and buying shoes with the change....

We did cheer ourselves up afterwards by heading down to Ganache for a chocolate overload afterwards... as you do...

Today our last day together I woke up with a heavy heart, I could feel it with Olivia too, she wouldn't leave me even for a second.  We took the girls on the tram - because you HAVE to if you're in Melbourne.... 
Perfect opportunity to get pics of my frills - Olivia waiting for the tram

Thanks Mummy for my twirly dress (Love the shopping in the Philippines, dresses were $20 each!)
And we got ourselves down to.....

LUNA PARK!  Now this is an expensive little exercise, but if you can stay at least 3 hours I think it's worth it.  For us the admission worked out to be about $35 each... for unlimited rides, but unlike Sydney's Luna Park no re-mortgage of the house is necessary to buy drinks, lunch, sideshow alley or souvenirs.   The rides are good and for a good range of ages, you'll have at least 4-5 rides even if you have the littlest ones....

Mummy 'looking cool'

Free entertainment!

I'm a bit of a fan of sideshow alley...
Everyone went home with a toy after not much $$ too.  Win/win.

Then Mummy did some shopping at the St Kilda Markets, enroute back to the hotel to quickly pack and come out to the airport...

Tearful farewell... I'm not due home until December 8 - I'm hoping my frills and hubby can come visit me.. not sure when I'll have time to see them even if they do.. I would settle for the evenings and my one day off a week... I truly would.  Until then, it's back to Skype.


Print this post in friendly format

17 lovely comments:

Chantelle {fat mum slim} on October 23, 2011 at 5:48 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I cried reading this. I take my hat off to you. I think you're amazing. xx

Charmaine on October 23, 2011 at 5:53 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I felt for you..esp when you have not seen your family for 3 weeks. That must be so difficult for all. What a fab time in Melbourne for all. Love the dress from Manila, pretty!

Mammamusing on October 23, 2011 at 7:14 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

What a wonderful way to reunite with your family after 3 weeks apart.

Glad you enjoyed your time in Melbourne. Although I must say of all the amazing places to eat in Melbourne what a shame you found a dud :(

At least, judging by your photos you still had a great time :)

BabyMac on October 23, 2011 at 8:09 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh Liss! Thinking of you - how hard! I shed a little tear too - I miss your girls. Is that weird? I can't imagine how far away they must seem. Sending you LOTS of love. Hope those girls get to see you before then. xxx

And thank YOU for sharing those precious family moments with all of us too!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I shed a little tear too :( That must be hard leaving your girls, having been separated from them for so long and seeing them only so briefly.
Glad to read you had a fantastic weekend getaway. Take care of yourself there - can't wait to read and try out more of your posted recipes :)

The Hubby said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

The girls were gems on the way home after teary goodbuys at the airport daddy took them to Krispy Kreme for a sprinkle donut... They make everything better.

The flight home was awesome they truely are little troopers. Thre very tired girls home and asleep.

Was a great weekend in Melbourne.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on October 23, 2011 at 9:36 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

What a sweet post!I'm so glad that you all got to see each other. And the girls have grown so much! :o

Christie - Childhood 101 on October 23, 2011 at 9:53 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You are such a strong mama, I can't even begin to imagine how hard this must be x

Sarah on October 23, 2011 at 10:15 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I hate going away for work as I feel so torn by my primal need to be with my babes but the need to satisfy the career bit of me...I try not to do too much skype as I find that I just want to crawl straight into the screen - hope the time passes and that you get a chance to breathe out now and again

Maryandlil on October 23, 2011 at 10:24 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

amazing!! stay safe! xxxxx

Nikki @ Styling You on October 23, 2011 at 11:39 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss, you are one amazing woman. What a magic weekend - hope your family gets to visit you in November x

Corrie on October 24, 2011 at 12:37 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

awwwwwww I just feel the emotions! your gorgeous girls are growing up so fast, I love all the pics of them!

don't make me cry! would you believe the driver who picked me up was telling me about the guy with a twins and an older girl and they didn't stop talking the whole way to the airport- it was your gorgeous family:)

Corrie:)

Kirsty S said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Sounds like you had an awesome time in Melbourne with the ones who make it all worthwhile.

Perhaps A and the frills should do a long weekend over there so they see where you are and what you're up to while you're away? Fingers crossed that there's an awesome ticket sale at a convenient date. :)

4 kids, 20 suitcases and a beagle on October 24, 2011 at 8:26 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Your children are gorgeous. Is your husband responsible for those bows and neatly ironed dresses? I think you're both amazing.

The Hubby said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@4 kids, 20 suitcases and a beagle

HAHAHAA yes I am.

Denyse Whelan. on October 25, 2011 at 12:33 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Awww Liss.. That is one sad/glad post. What a work situation you have going on atm. Great idea to get together with your beautiful girls & hub for a weekend of reunion & memory-making. It was sad to read your words. Hard on everyone methinks! Denyse

Veggie Mama on October 25, 2011 at 11:32 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Cutest. Frills. Ever.

I think you're incredible. I hope it goes fast for you <3


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015