Thursday, October 27

The potential of 'Us'


Earlier this month I returned home for a few days - it was whirlwind to say the least but I visited the lovely Wolgan Valley Estate for a friend's wedding. It was small and intimate but done very beautifully and tastefully. The setting was picturesque and you could certainly feel the love in the room, for a couple who had many obstacles to overcome, and a long distance relationship to their path to happily ever after.

It got me thinking about life's journey (this is starting to sound like a sermon isn't it?...) . Only eight short years ago that was me and hubby were getting married, amongst a small and intimate crowd, picturesque setting, and hubby and I had overcome some geographical issues to finally come together.

I remember when he asked me to marry him, we were living in different States, but six long months later he packed up his life and we started making a life together under one roof. I still can remember the giddy excitement of knowing he was on his way to me and what the future held. Our wedding, marriage, children, the lot.

I cut back my work travel commitments, 'We' started to make decisions together and really now I find it hard to remember a time when I wasn't part of an 'us'. And I don't mean that in an 'identity-lost' kind of way.

'Us' started out with just 'Us-two'.
Now it is 'Us-five'.


This past weekend in Melbourne I wish I had said to hubby 'Thanks for having the foresight to see that 'We' could be so wonderful. (Well I just did on my blog, does that count?) We've had bad times and good times but we are still strong and really, if it had of been up to me I don't think I would have seen the 'us' in us. (I was a relationship gumby to say the least!!)

Truly, if I'm honest I don't think he could even see see how 'Us' could be this wonderful. Life brings joy sometimes that you can't even begin to imagine...

What about you?  Has the 'Us' you've become turned out differently (better/worse) than you imagined?

Print this post in friendly format

11 lovely comments:

Lauren on October 27, 2011 at 12:45 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I really liked reading this. My husband and I also overcame a long distance relationship. He was in America and me in Australia, so it was a big one. I never saw myself as the marrying kind before meeting him, but we did that and I'm happy. Really happy. He recently spent three weeks back in the States for work, and it only reinforced to me how much I love the us.

He wants children but isn't pushing me - I'm not quite in the right headspace and am happy for his patience, although I know there may come a time when I just have to suck it up. So hearing all about this "us" growing and it not just being okay but better, well that gives me great comfort. Right now children just seem like a lot of effort and an imposition on all that lovely couple time, but reading the way you write about that expanding concept of "us" is really beautiful. Thank you for giving me hope about my own journey being so special.

Diminishing Lucy on October 27, 2011 at 12:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

LOVE THIS Liss. xx

Our "us" is spectacular in ways I never ever dreamed. And your post reminds me of this. Thank you.

KH on October 27, 2011 at 1:53 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Different, very different! I love the "Us of three" far more than the "Us of two".

Veggie Mama on October 27, 2011 at 2:45 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh this is beautiful! I had a rocky road to a good relationship, but the "us" I'm in has been the best thing I've ever done. And now that it is "us three" and expanding, I love it even more.

You are so gorgeous xo

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Beautiful post, and wonderful photos Liss. Your family looked beautiful, and so happy on the day. It's lovely to have those moments of consideration and introspection to really understand how wonderful our lives are. You've come a long way, baby.

xxx tam

Mel on October 28, 2011 at 12:13 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This is incredibly sweet. So glad you found one another and made those beautiful children as well. Lovely!

Becci on October 28, 2011 at 9:16 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

When I turned 30 I thought I would never have an 'us' as I was in a bad marriage which could not produce children. But I left all that, met Mr Perfect and promptly had 2 kids (well 4 yrs apart anyway!). Whowouldafort?

You're a beautiful family and thankyou for sharing.

Unknown on October 28, 2011 at 10:57 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Can I just say, what a beautiful blog!

I'm getting married in about a year and only pray that my guest leave feeling as you did!

Fiona T on October 29, 2011 at 12:58 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

What a lovely post. It is so nice to hear from someone else who loves their husband (partner) family and life. My little family is so wonderful and more than I could have envisioned when we married 12 years ago. I often feel like the odd one out in my circle of friends...I really see my husband as my other half (not as a hinderence in my life to manage like some of my friends). Through good and bad our relationship has grown and strengthened.

All the best Liss, thanks for reminding me that there are others who love their partner too.

Kirsty S said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Lovely post, Liss. He's a keeper, that one. :)

Corrie on October 30, 2011 at 3:17 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I just love that family pic of you guys, so precious. you guys are a gorgeous family and are really a team!

we were a long distance love for over 3 years but glad we made it too

marriage sure takes work and compromises but it's worth it! hope you're all back together soon

Corrie:)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015