Sunday, September 11

Heavenly homemade waffles.... don't kill me



My hubby rolls his eyes whenever I declare I *need* an electrical appliance.  I have a good many but I don't have pie makers or hot-dog keepers or anything like that. I am pretty practical.  But a waffle machine has been on my covet list for a while, and I finally bit the bullet and bought one.

If you don't like a lot of appliances taking up valuable storage space I have some good news for you - the Breville Waffle Creations is small enough to make you justify it.  That's what I did!   And perfect waffles every time.  I'm absolutely chuffed!
Everyone owns these Ikea cups, gives you an idea of the size..
So I found this recipe on the internet  and tweaked a little - lovely waffles- no sugar either!  It's what you add that makes a difference... so I've added syrup and fruit but you could use a berry coulis or even chocolate sauce if you're having them for dessert... yum!

Ingredients
2 eggs, separated
1 2/3 cups plain flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1 2/3 (400ml) milk
1/2 cup canola oil

Method:

After separating your eggs, whip your egg whites until they form stiff peaks.

Sift your flour and baking powder.

Into a jug, add milk, oil and egg yolks and give it a good stir.

Pour that into your flour/baking powder

Whisk until smooth (about 1 minute)

Lastly gently fold in the egg white.

Don't beat the air out of it, that's what makes the waffles crispy and light.

Turn on your waffle iron, from experience, set it to almost the darkest setting.
Spoon in your mixture, don't worry if you overfill it the first time (I did) but basically try and get it to reach the rim of the mould.


If you do overfill it, it will spill out the sides, but because of the combination of non-stick surface and the oil content in the batter, it just comes away..

This if my first try, where I set it to a medium setting, it took a while to cook and whilst still yummy it was a bit on the chewy side.

A couple of tries later, and look - gorgeous and you have NO idea how good they are hot with butter and syrup!   What you could do it freeze them like this and pop in the freezer and then toast them in the toaster when you want some quickly...


Drool... go on..

Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

Jo @countrylifeexperiment on September 11, 2011 at 9:13 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have serious waffle iron jealousy issues! They look delicious.

robyn on September 11, 2011 at 9:52 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh yum!! I don't have waffles often but they look fantastic!

Michelle on September 12, 2011 at 4:43 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love your waffle iron!

Ferdinand on September 24, 2011 at 5:54 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

It looks delicious, i don't mind gone to heaven after taste this waffles

Maryandlil on September 30, 2011 at 10:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

YUUUUUUUUUUUUM!! I have this machine and it is FANTASTIC! you have inspired me to have waffles for breakfast tomorrow!! mmmmm LOVE HOLIDAYS!

FLEWorld on October 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]
This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015