Tuesday, September 13

Seven ingredients to risottolaya!


Add this one to your meal plan.  Right now. Do not pass go.  Do not collect $200.  I saw a recipe for chicken jambalaya in the Good Food UK app and it looked amazing.  Only problem it was laced with capsicum and in our house - capsicum is poison - according to my husband.

I desperately wanted to make it and considered making him something extra so I could.  But in the end I couldn't be bothered and I used some of the base recipe and tweaked it a little to get an almost-risotto but not quite.    But truly it is so easy, kid friendly (not chili hot) and incredibly tasty. All my family included me were begging for seconds - sadly there were none!  So I was promptly told to blog it so 'Daddy can make it when you're at work'...  see, this blog thing comes in handy sometimes...

I used a tagine, but you don't need one if you don't have one.  Just instead of putting the lid on the tagine, put in a casserole dish with a lid/foil and place in the oven.


Ingredients:
1 large red onion, roughly diced
3 smoked chorizo sausages, finely diced
500g chicken thighs or breasts, cut into strips
500ml vegetable stock
400g tin diced tomatoes
300ml white wine
1 cup long grain rice


Method:
Heat some oil in your pan and soften your onions


Add the chorizo and cook for about 5 minutes over a medium heat.  Add chicken and brown, then add vegetable stock and white wine

Lastly add tin of tomatoes and uncooked rice.

Simmer with tagine lid or place in ovenproof dish with lid or tightly wrapped foil in preheated oven at 200 degrees for 30 minutes.

Remove from the oven and sprinkle it with parsley if you wish.. it will be lovely and saucy!

Serve!


Friends - do you adapt many recipes to cater to yours or your family's tastes?
Print this post in friendly format

9 lovely comments:

sapna on September 14, 2011 at 7:52 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

surely going to try this today, it looks yum...

Annette said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks Yummy...going to try this in the next few days...very easy after work dish to cook...

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh this will be what I'm trying out this weekend!!! Thanks Liss :)

SusieV said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm with your husband. Capsicum IS poison. So I eliminate it from every recipe I'm interested in...

Brigid | The Inspired Notebook on September 15, 2011 at 11:16 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Love that your husband gets his recipes from your blog, Liss. And that your kids have figured that out!
We have a couple of fussy family members, as well as a few foods we're better to avoid, so I'm often adapting recipes - or cooking two things at once.
Three of us would definitely enjoy this (not sure about the chorizo though as I haven't cooked with it before). Will have to give it a try!

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys on September 18, 2011 at 11:58 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

No one likes capsicum here either , this looks easy to do it the caravan too.

PlanningQueen on September 18, 2011 at 8:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks amazing Liss! I love tweaking recipes. I am far more adventurous now than I used to be.

Jess WhoaMamma on October 4, 2011 at 3:06 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh my goodness! Definitely one to add to the meal plan. Quick and easy with ingredients I regularly have on hand. So happy I've discovered your lovely blog (better late than never!). Have lots and lots of yummy recipes to inspire me now, woohoo!

Kelly on January 26, 2013 at 4:13 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks good! If you want to make it more Cajun without adding green peppers (kinda rules Cajun out!) then make sure to use celery and maybe add a little sweet paprika. That might make a good mock version of The Holy Trinity (onion, celery, bell pepper) of Cajun/Southern cooking :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015