Wednesday, September 7

Last minute spiced BBQ prawns...



I'm absolutely thrilled it's Spring. Thrilled.  As much as I love the casseroles and puddings of winter, they are feeling a little bit done now and I'm ready to move on... to Spring.  I feel so grateful to live somewhere where we get to experience all four seasons.

Another thing I love about the warmer weather is cooking and eating outside.  On Tuesday it was 26.8 degrees and I couldn't wait to get the BBQ fired up.  I was pumped.  Unfortunately the gods were against me with timing.   Tuesday being my only day off work was crammed-full of errands and as a result I didn't get home in time to give the BBQ its spring clean.

So I cheated.  I made a quickie rub and used the stove grill.

I would totally recommend buying a stovetop grill if you don't have one.  Even if you have a BBQ, it allows you to cook BBQ year round and is particularly useful in doing small quantities of grilled vegetables or a steak here and there.

OK, onto the recipe:

Quickie spicy marinade enough for 50 prawns
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp hot paprika
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tb olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice


Method:
Mix all your marinade ingredients together with the exception of the lemon juice.

Add marinade to a ziplock bag,add the lemon juice and the prawns, seal and give it a good shake.  Let it sit for as long as you can, but if you need to - just let it sit for a few minutes whilst you heat your BBQ/grill and soak some skewers in hot water for about 5 minutes.

Thread prawns onto your skewers and place onto your grill.  Grill for about 1.5 minutes on each side... I like to get 'em a bit crispy to allow the spices to get a bit crunchy.

My grill sits across two of my burners on my stove, love it!

Serve with salad and baked potatoes if you've got a bit more time!


What food are you looking forward to this spring?  Have you been using your barbeque yet or do you use it year 'round?
Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Pat M on September 8, 2011 at 9:39 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum! The pics tell a delicous story! I'll try them on the outdoor grill! Growing Old With Grace http://growing-old-with-grace.blogspot.com/


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015