Sunday, September 11

Sunday baking project: Chocolate pecan brownie cookies!


It's been a pretty tough couple of weeks at work.  Everyone's under time pressures.  Everyone's up against some pretty tough challenges but as stressful as this is at times it's a great workplace where people do pull together and support each other when the chips are down.

You can tell the stress levels are escalating with the exponential presence of chocolate, coffee and diet coke on our floor.   This week on my one day off (yes working 4 days a week now it seems...) I decided to treat my colleagues who have been asking me to bake for them for months and make them something chocolately.

I thought about making brownies, and then I thought about making them choc-chip cookies as these never fail to please - but I thought: 'why not combine them?' so I did!

The only piece of advice I will give you is please use good chocolate.  Of course you don't HAVE to but I'm telling you, it makes a difference with the taste.   This makes A LOT of cookies - around 50 - so stash some in the freezer of feed them to a horde... or just divide the recipe in half!

Ingredients

125g softened butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup caster sugar

2 1/2 cups self raising flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used Cadbury Bournville)
250 quality dark cooking chocolate (I used Lindt Connaisseur)
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips (I used hersheys)
100g shelled pecans, roughly chopped


Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees c

In a bowl, combine your butter and sugars together until smooth.

Add your flour and cocoa

In microwave jug, melt your 250g dark chocolate (I do it by breaking it up, microwaving on 50% power for 1 minute, stirring and then putting in the microwave for another minute on 50% power.  If yours isn't melted by the 2nd minute, do another minute on 50% power)

Add your vanilla extract and eggs and stir well.

Try not to eat it all at this point.

Slowly mix your melted chocolate into your dry ingredients

Oh heavens, I will allow you at this point to have a taste.  Try and stop at one teaspoon.

Take off the beater and stir in pecans and chocolate chips

Phwoaar... is all I'm going to say..

Roll into balls on a greased tray and then press them down a little with your hands.

Bake for about 15 minutes - when they are cooked leave them to cool on the tray for about 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.... do yourself a favour and taste-test them now... divine... and fudgy.

Enjoy my friends, enjoy.  Spread the love to your friends and family.... and stressed-out workmates..

Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on September 11, 2011 at 7:15 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Sorry to hear that it's been a tough week but as you say chocolate really solves most problems doesn't it! :D

Spencer on September 21, 2011 at 12:12 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love biscuits and this kooks like a great recipe!

Kate said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Made a half batch of these last weekend, and am now the favouritest person in the whole wide house!! The kids (aged 2 and 4.5) also got to help, and have been telling anyone who they see how they made "great choccie bsicuits".... always a good recommendation! Am going to lash out and make the full-sized batch this weekend (with the excuse of a colleague's birthday). Thanks for a fab recipe!!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015