Sunday, September 25

Messages from Manila part one


Well... I know this isn't exactly the Sunday Baking Project but it's a bit hard to post about when I left the photos back in Sydney.... Whoops.

So I arrived in Manila last night. There's a few things I have to say:

To the bloke I sat next to: I am not sure WHY you needed to go to the bathroom 7 times in 8 hours but my advice to you is a)see a doctor about it b)get a aisle seat.

Qantas, Coke Zero is NOT the same thing as Diet Coke. No it is not. If I wanted to the taste of fully-leaded Coke, I'd drink that. For the record most people drink diet coke for the taste.

I have had 6 'Coke Light' since I got here - I will pretend all of them are on account of it being so humid and not because I am a stupid amount of exhausted.
Room service at midnight after you were starving on the plane because you  forgot to put dietary requirements in your booking...lesson learned.
Wow hasn't Manila become so westernised in just the 10 years since I was last time I was here. So much to do, see, buy and EAT.

McDonalds is delivered here. 24 hours. Crikey.

Today after I eventually got up I went shopping in the complex attached to my hotel. Crazy cheap at department stores. Bought swimmers and dresses for Laura and Olivia - finding others to get anything in Eloise's size a challenge not sure why.

Gap is still expensive though.

Went with my longtime friend and work colleague to one of his favourite places for lunch called 2nds on Bonifacio High Street and within momentsof looking at the menu I understood why. It's comfort and hangover food. Essential foodstuffs for hardworking expats!

These were delicious - chicken paste stuff on the inside - sounds gross but it wasn't!
Bacon Chicharon - deep fried bacon with a corn crust... oh my.



This is the truffled mac'n'cheese with Chrorizo which I only ate 2 spoonfuls of...waste!


Enough said right?

Afterwards it was off to the markets where you would find all the knock-offs of the fakes. Didn't find much did get this for hubby..... It's a beanie which only god knows when you wear one here?


Print this post in friendly format

7 lovely comments:

Katie on September 25, 2011 at 8:27 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

How lovely to hear from you Liss! Have been missing you heaps! You have become a big part of my days at home with Miss 2.5. Especially since we have recently made a big interstate move and are getting used to things, adventuring and blogging too! I know all to well what it is like to travel for work as I did a lot before I had my little one. I am sure you are having fun but are tired and also missing your family terribly. Looking forward to hearing more about the Phillipenes. Have fun! xxx K

Mr hills said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yeah thanks for the beanie hun.

Corrie on September 25, 2011 at 10:29 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oh you're a classic! I'm with katie - missing you!

tell me if you need any shopping trips as one of my sweet friends is from the philippines and asked me to find out where you are staying and she can tell you where to shop for kids!

I'd just shop, forget work! just shop and eat!

can't wait to hear more about the food - spare us the work stories!

corrie:)

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Great post! I have also been missing your posts. Agree with you about the Coke and Coke Light just isn't the same!

Enjoy!

Sally

Veggie Mama on September 27, 2011 at 10:24 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh god, truffled mac... I just died and came back to life and died again. HOW delicious! I need to make it. And that beanie! Gosh you're a cutie, that made me laugh xo

Unknown on October 6, 2011 at 4:34 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

macdonalds 24/7?? every drunken night best dream!! lol!! the coke thing is true.. coke zero is yick!!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015