Sunday, December 13

Sunday Baking Project: Honey Chocolate Celebration Cake






You probably won't believe this, but I'm not much of a cake person.  I mean I love to make them, but I seldom eat more than the obligatory piece to check it turned out right...  This cake however I think will have me eating at least a few pieces.  It resembles somewhat of a toblerone style with the honey and chocolate combination, but it's so warm on tastebuds, you will be licking your fingers - that is, if you don't eat the cakemix first (Oh my, it's scrumptious!)

I like making cakes as gifts - there's something so loving about giving someone a cake I think.  Someone who needs a lift or a special way to say thank you - it always put a smile on the face of whoever you give it to.  I made two of these cakes (the recipe below is for one) one for us, and one as a gift... to give it a bit of Christmas cheer I used a cookie cutter and some royal orchard icing, and sifted pure icing sugar to decorate.  I will also add some silver glitter just before I deliver it also.. looks magical that way.

The actual cake recipe is from www.taste.com.au


Ingredients 
125g butter, softened

  • 1/4 cup brown sugar



  • 2 eggs, at room temperature



  • 3/4 cup honey



  • 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour



  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder



  • 1/2 cup milk




  • Chocolate icing





  • 1 cup icing sugar



  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder



  • 1/4 cup honey



  • 1 tablespoon hot water


  • Method

    1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line your cooking pan - you could use a lamington pan or large loaf pan, I used a small spring-form tin.
    2. Using an electric or stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each. Add honey. Beat well.



    Sift flour and cocoa over butter mixture. Fold into butter mixture until combined. Stir in milk until combined.





    1. Spoon into pan. Smooth surface. 





    1. Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool.
    2. I cut the top off my cakes to make them flat, and freeze before icing, less crumbs!   Turn cut top bottom down to decorate:
    Chocolate icing:
    Melt 100grams of dark chocolate in the microwave, but breaking up, putting in a microwave safe bowl and microwaving for 1 minute on medium-low power setting. Stir, and repeat.

    Add 2 tb of cream, stir. 


    Optional
    Add 1/4 cup sifted pure icing sugar - this gives it a grainy texture - which I like if I'm adding glitter or icing sugar on top - but if you're not - omit.

    Place overlapped squares of baking paper underneath the perimeter of your cake - this allows you to decorate on the serving plate, and remove the mess once decorate.


    Pour entire icing on top of cake and smooth to edges and side. Use a knife run under hot tap to smooth if icng starts to set.


    Remove paper and decorate as desired!


    Print this post in friendly format

    3 lovely comments:

    Quixotic on December 13, 2009 at 1:00 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

    I'm having a Homer Simpson moment - mmm... caaaake.

    Sounds delish, have an Aunt's 60th next week, might give it a whirl!! :)

    Cathie on December 13, 2009 at 8:01 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

    yep, I know what you mean, I don't eat cakes either but I do enjoy seeing people smile when they like something I have made for them.

    Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on December 14, 2009 at 1:24 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

    With your schedule I can't beieve you have time to bake and post! Hehe that reindeer shape looks familiar ;)


     

    Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015