Tuesday, December 15

Let the festival of food colouring begin!


Been a bit quiet lately haven't I?

It's not that I don't love you (my readers) or my blog anymore.  I do!  I miss it!  I'm just ridiculously busy!   All the last minute Christmas stuff - posting interstate presents (just how long an Australia post queue could get was frightening in my experience today!)  We also have my mother in law coming to stay next week, and my parents and sister and neices travelling into town this weekend, so I want to enjoy the week leading up to Christmas as much as possible (hubby is off work also) so I'm cramming this week.

Christmas shopping is almost done.  I'm so pleased, relieved, elated to report.  Just a few nick-nacks left and no stress!

Now for the big stuff.

 My tiniest frills are FOUR next Monday!  Their party is this Saturday - and they want a RAINBOW party.  Apparently it's all about rainbows if you're four.  So I have been wrought with indecision about what I should do for their party food.

It's so tempting to be a tad lazy given there's so much other cooking going on but it's not just one child, it's TWO and they deserve a birthday like their big sister who luckily has hers well away from everyone elses' in June.


So this is the menu (so far)
Rainbow Cakes in shape of 4 (2 of these, you need your own cake you know!)
Rainbow Jelly arches
Rainbow icecream cones
Rainbow Marshmallow bags
Fairy bread
Party Franks and sauce
Sandwich rolls
Sweets and crisps

Any other suggestions?  I know this is a lot of junk and sugar, but you know what?  My girls eat very well normally with not a lot of treats (albeit home-made ones!) and definitely sweets only happen at birthdays, Easter and Christmas, so I figure "ahh - what the heck!"  The good news is that the party is 10am-noon which means that the participants and run off all that sugary-energy and have some hope of getting to sleep that night.
Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Katy on December 15, 2009 at 9:16 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'd go rainbow fruit kebabs! I hope the party goes without a hitch. How fast have the past 4.5 years gone? Seems like yesterday you were sharing the HUGE news you were having twins!

PinkPatentMaryJanes on December 15, 2009 at 10:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oooh, have fun - I'll be having a pool party for my gal's 10th birthday here just a few hours after you've finished! I must say that I second Katy's idea of the fruit - a platter with strawberries, mangos, peaches, kiwi, blueberries and, ooh, some purple fruit... will look spesh and get demolished.

Your ideas sounds fabulouso - hope the girls all have a glorious time. Please post pics!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on December 21, 2009 at 8:37 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have to see pics of this party-it sounds too fabulous! :D

Melissa {Suger} on December 22, 2009 at 9:37 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Rainbow party! How fun. As far as suggestions go I think you and the others have it covered. The fruit sounds like a nice addition to the fab stuff you had planned. Whatever you do, don't cancel the cocktail franks. They're a keeper! :o)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015