Monday, March 2

Why does it shock me?


People are so freaking rude and selfish? This morning I got on the bus, and I had shoulder bag with my lunch etc in it and my handbag, as I got on the bus an older gentleman about 60 odd I would guess, goes to sit down in the last seat, as he goes to sit down, realises I'm standing and offers me the seat. I say 'No it's fine, you sit' and he says 'No really, I insist'. I'm thinking 'oh isn't that lovely and go to pick up my shoulder bag off the floor when a 25-ish year old male comes in and swoops on the seat! I mean, I didn't *need* the seat but surely he would offer it to the older bloke? Didn't he see me preparing to sit down? I suppose that Ipod made us invisible and also depleted him of all human decency.. also made his eyes suddenly become absolutely uncontactable with any of ours.. mmmm..

Reminds me of the time when I was about 5 months pregnant with Laura and Olivia. I was full-term size and caught the bus to work. One day it was raining and the bus was absolutely packed. Again, Ipods and newspapers seem to make hideously uncomfortable pregnant women invisible, until a young early-20's male taps me on the belly (no less) and asks me.. if he could hold my UMBRELLA. I didn't know whether I wanted to accept, or just hit him over the head with it.

Someone overhead this and offered me their seat. After that I would just evict the youngest-able-bodied person on the bus. Lost all my inhibitions after that moment.

I remember my Mother used to say to me to stand for my elders, even high school girls when I was in primary school... I used to always stand up and take much pride in doing so as I would always get a very genuine thank you and people DO appreciate manners. What are we teaching our children these days or in the last 10 years or is it that schools aren't reinforcing it or is it that it's just a different breed? I would be absolutely devastated if I learned my child had been so disrespectful (that's what it is in my eyes).

If this makes me a fuddy-duddy, get me my fluffy slippers and bex. I'm willing to take on that label!

Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Grace on March 2, 2009 at 9:41 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

"is it that schools aren't reinforcing it"

:o Are you kidding me? Have you any idea how hard I (and a lot of my colleagues) have tried???

Kat on March 2, 2009 at 11:09 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I know that when I got on the bus when pregnant with one of the girls, the bus driver announced on the speakers that she would not be moving until someone got up out of their seats and gave it to me, it was nice but mega embarassing.

But completely agree, so hand me my slippers and nanna rug too please.

ginchyworld on March 3, 2009 at 2:20 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I actually find people are quicker to get out of their seats when you have a toddler than they are if you are pregnant, at least in the UK they are!

When I'm on my own I'm a standerupper for anyone who looks like they need it more than me, but all bets are off when toddler is in tow.

Jaime on March 3, 2009 at 1:15 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Unbelievable! I'll definitely be teaching my kids to stand up for other people that clearly need it more than them.

Bet you wish you had that umbrella with you today to hit that seat-swooper with!

Raelene on March 3, 2009 at 9:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Reminds me of the add with the giant inflatable hammer... need to be carrying one of those myself today. I don't take public transport but today we were waiting for our turn in Telstra and some stupid rude cow decided that she was waiting far too long and pounced on the first sales assistant who became free. Many comments of "ignore the heavily pregnant hormonal woman" were made very loudly by both hubby and I

And yes, I do think school kids are oblivious once they get on the buses and also Ipods and newspapers are definitely a form of camouflage....


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015