Monday, March 16

Getting my head around what comes next...


With the job market being what it is, unreliable, contracting rates going down and nothing really in my area of expertise on offer due to the cost to companies I'm having to re-evaluate whether I work at all this coming financial year.

With 3 kids 5 and under, there are financial benefits to NOT working believe it or not. But it means there are sacrifices also. No more city-kindy - which the kids love and I worry about keeping up their stimulation levels - it's not even negotiable at one day a week as even with childcare benefits and rebate it wipes out most of our benefits.

So I also look at activities for the kids in this area

Playgroup - which we abandoned when we first moved into the area because of inadequate fencing and little babies, I think (hope) things have changed where that's concerned - so that's Thursday with an activity.

Dance classes - I think the girls would love this and I can't imagine it would cost the earth - I can look into it..

Swimming Lessons - these are expensive, I know this but it might be something I do with 1 of the girls a term. I'm sure my Nan would love to help out and have some time with the other two whilst I walk one of the girls down and back. Will need to look into cost.

Then there is my stimulation levels. Can't even factor me into this at the moment...

There are certainly advantages, at times when the girls are requiring discipline that I'm not with them 24/7 to reinforce it, and it's a challenge doing that reinforcement on the 3 days a week I am with them 24/7. If they were at home, there would be more consistency.

Another consideration is school starting this next year for Eloise and being able to drop her off and pick her up is something I thought I'd only be able to dream of doing. That could be a reality.

I just worry it will create stress, with less money, and less outlets... but at least we will on a known income, it's really about weighing up the lesser of evils.

Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Kat on March 16, 2009 at 8:59 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oh Liss I so hear you, I'm really hating having to decide what we need and the cost of childcare for the most part takes the decision out of our hands, it's just so damn expensive that pretty much whatever I earn it's going to go straight into childcare so defeats the purpose of working.

Katy on March 17, 2009 at 7:37 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss it is the hardest decision, and such a balance to have to find. You can only just give it a shot!

3 kids in childcare is so expensive, sometimes it's just not worth working just a day or three a week!

Krysbrem on March 17, 2009 at 9:51 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss you totally aren't alone here mate. My mat pay was up in Feb and I am now on leave without pay... Even with only two kids it would cost me money to go back at the moment, just not worth it... Even if it does mean everything is just that little bit harder to achieve


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015