Monday, March 9

One of THOSE moments in parenting


Where you look for that hole in the floor to swallow you up.

This morning whilst getting ready for kindy Eloise was discussing how she was in my tummy by herself and her sisters were in there together .. then she asked 'Mummy, but HOW did I GET in your tummy, did you eat me?'

I paused, bit my bottom lip and said, 'No darling, I didn't swallow you, you were smaller than a little seed when you began to grow in my tummy'.

'Where did you get the seed mummy?'

Looking around for hubby desperately here for back-up, he appears, I breathe a sigh of relief and then repeat the question to hubby for his share of excruiating awkwardness. 'ummmm, ummmm'.

'Daddy gave me the seed' I say thinking (hoping) maybe that will be the end of the conversation. and then the question I hoped she wouldn't ask 'HOW did Daddy get me in your tummy?'.

I said 'It was Mummy and Daddy love, it was magic' (not far from the truth I suppose!) she seemed pretty impressed.

Think I'm going to have to research and discuss what we should say should this topic come up again, is 4.5 too young to discuss sex education? I do think so... maybe being frank about it might help? Don't know!!

Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Kat on March 9, 2009 at 8:55 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh gawd, I think you handled it well. You haven't lied, you just haven't elaborated on the truth. 4.5 years does seem mighty young for hte birds and the bees chat, I agree.

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Not looking forward to that discussion at all!

Katy on March 10, 2009 at 7:54 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Well done!!! 4.5 is a bit young to be discussing the finer details, but they ask such detailed questions!!!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015