Sunday, October 20

Sunday baking project: Super lemony loaf



If you have a lemon tree you might be cheering when you saw this recipe.  It uses 4 lemons and whilst a tiny bit fiddly does deliver a beautiful hit of lemon without it overpowering you.  I love lemon so overpowering wouldn't bother me, but it's not.  It's just super lemony.  

When I saw this recipe I liked the look of it, but when I went to make it - I found it difficult to follow...I think perhaps my style of cooking is different..  so I just ended up improvising and changing it - because I thought it had a bit too much sugar and cream.

The is loaf is perfect to freeze for later or cut and freeze for lunches.  For me it made a substantial loaf and 6 cupcakes, it could make 2 smaller loaves or one large round or good sized square cake.

Ingredients:
4 medium sized lemons
250g butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup caster sugar
4 eggs
3 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sour cream

Method:
Preheat oven to 190 degrees c

Grease your loaf or cake tin with butter, set aside.

Zest your lemons.   

Then take all the white skin off your lemons (or I cut mine in half and then sliced it off) and then cut out the segments of lemon so you do not have the pith.  Remove the seeds.

Sift the flour and the baking powder.

Then throw in your lemon and zest.  Set aside..

With electric mixer whip the butter with sugar for a few minutes until it becomes light and fluffy.


Add eggs and sour cream and beat until well combined.

Add the flour mixture and beat until combined, it will be thick and luscious.  I had to bribe Laura with the beater to get her to step away...

With a spatula, move the mixture into your tin and smooth down.

Bake for one hour, but check after the hour, it might need a bit more depending how deep your loaf tin is.. I needed another 15 minutes.

Make your icing by squeezing half a lemon into 2 cups of sifted icing sugar... just mix it with a spoon

And then pour it on the top and smooth to the edges

Let it drizzle over the edges.. yum.





Print this post in friendly format

0 lovely comments:


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015