Sunday, October 6

Back to it.. spring garden 2013



So much to catch you up on, first of all - I'm home!  I've been away fora lot of the past couple of years, and I don't just mean from my blog.  My job has involved a lot of overseas travel, and whilst I have seen some great things, tasted some great things, achieved some great things and met some amazing people, I have missed my family.   That all came to end a short time ago and I started a new job in the same industry that is much more family friendly.   So I've been slowly getting back into my groove 
You might or might not remember we moved house about a year ago and I'm still unpacking boxes.. yes! So needless to say a lot of catching up to do around the house and the garden.. 

Here's some snapshots I took today:

These are our main vege patches at the moment, unfortunately they don't get as much sun as our last one (opera house), but is perfect for carrots, lettuce and cucumber which we have in there now.  Over the next month I'll be weeding this and getting it a bit more functional.  The other one, is not fit for photographs yet!

Our herbs and tomatoes now live in pots on the perimeter of the deck which does get a lot of direct sunshine.  Currently in the process of transferring things into tin ice buckets - they are colourful and aren't as heavy to move around, we started this last year - here's our thyme which is in flower and rosemary, they are now so big they need their own buckets or pots.

 We have 3 varieties of tomato on the go - these are our cherry tomatoes, but we also have black russian and Grand Lisse.

The basil pot, regular and Thai varieties don't you love the fans?  Cute right?  Each of the girls bought one of these and has staked their claim (literally) in a herb pot each.  This one is Laura's.  Eloise's has parsley and oregano (and needs to be separated also) and Olivia's is the top image, with Chives and sage.

Unfortunately, as when happens when is starts to heat up - suddenly - the coriander (cilantro) has gone to seed....


So we chopped it back today and re-sowed some of the seeds.

It's an easy job for kids to do, Olivia did the task today.

And we'll dry the majority of them in the paperbag, just keep it somewhere dry like your shed.  

I couldn't resist this shot of the bottle brush, that's the thing about being away from home, it makes you nostalgic for images like these..

 Tell me about your garden adventures! Starting or reviving a herb or vege garden? What's growing well for you at the moment?

Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts on October 6, 2013 at 9:16 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yay!! I've missed your blogging!!

Denyse Whelan. on October 6, 2013 at 9:40 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Welcome back!! You have been around the world so many times I got tired... So pleased to know you are home now & working still but with family friendly employment. Yay. You have been missed! Good to see you again, Liss. Denyse

Liss on October 7, 2013 at 4:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Denyse Whelan. Ready.Set.School.
Thanks Denyse! It's so lovely to be home now and not having an itinerary constantly hanging over my head..

Liss on October 7, 2013 at 4:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts Me too!

Unknown on October 7, 2013 at 11:27 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Was so pleased to see you back in my feed. Gorgeous garden - great idea using the tin ice buckets!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015