Tuesday, June 12

Thermomix Lemon Scones



Well me and my thermomix are getting acquainted you could say.  I've made some soups, some risotto, custard, I even made a massaman curry in it last week - with rice.   I do like it, it's very convenient and I intend to use it to make butter, mascarpone and I love the way it makes almond and rice milk and is very intolerance friendly - I do have friends with kids with intolerances so it will take the guesswork out for me.  I do love that it weighs, and I can walk away and let it do it's work.   I don't like that it can overdo things sometimes if you don't keep your eye on it.   I still am loyal to my KitchenAid and I don't see me throwing away my icecream maker - but I do enjoy learning about the thermomix and as I do I'm happy to take you on my journey!

So today I'm making buttermilk scones, but of course I can't help myself and I have to tweak the recipe because I've got an obsession a thing for lemons at the moment.   These turned out a little flatter than I thought they would so I would suggest that you roll it out a bit thicker than I did.  They are still light and fluffy inside - no sign of rock-cakes here!

Ingredients:
Zest of 1 lemon
440g self raising flour
50g caster sugar
pinch salt
60g butter, chopped
380g buttermilk


Method:
Preheat oven to 220 degrees c

Place lemon zest, caster sugar, salt and butter in the thermomix:


Mix for 10 seconds on speed 8.  Voila, breadcrumb-like mixture! (beats rubbing it in by fingertips!)

Add buttermilk.  Mix for 8 seconds on speed 5.  Then 15 seconds at interval position.

It should looks something like this - a dough ball that's 'just' coming together.

Push out onto a floured surface and try and sprinkle flour on top.  Don't knead the mixture, just pat it into 2 inches thick space before cutting out your shapes and putting onto a greased tray.

When I think of all the cookie cutters I have.. this is what I cut out my scones with?... ahem.

Brush with leftover buttermilk or milk from the fridge.

Bake for 15 minutes until light golden brown.

I think raspberry or cherry and lemon is gorgeous pairing.  No need for butter, just jam and cream (40 seconds on speed 5 with butterfly in! I love that you can whip cream in 40 seconds!)

Don't you just want some?

Now if you don't have a thermomix, never fear, here's some scone recipes for you:

Cheese bacon and spring onion scones
Easy ginger and cinnamon scones
Lemon buttermilk and date scones
Pumpkin scones



Print this post in friendly format

0 lovely comments:


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015