Tuesday, June 26

DIY Vanilla Instant pudding mix - quick AND easy!



On a cold winter's evening there's nothing better than a bit of custard or pudding.  This one also translates to summer because it can be refrigerated and made into a cold vanilla pudding.  Since getting my thermomix I've loved how easy it is to make custard but let's face it - not everyone has a thermomix sitting on their bench and everyone loves an easy recipe.   I found this one a while back at Always order dessert - Vanilla beans aren't something that I keep in regular stock either but since I found a great supplier it makes this more do-able.

This now means that hubby can make the kids some puddings for afternoon tea for a treat, or a quick warm pudding/custard to have over tinned fruit whilst I'm not around.  All you need is 2 cups of milk and 1/2 cup of the mix.  Mix together in a saucepan - give it a whisk until it thickens - about 4 minutes and you're in business!   They set in the fridge in a few hours too.

You can use this as a base, and once cooked stir through some cocoa, some stewed fruit or fresh fruit for your own twist!


Ingredients:
3/4 cup milk powder
3/4 cup cornflour
1 cup caster sugar
2 vanilla pods
1/2 tsp salt

Method:
In an airtight container, place the milk powder, cornflour, caster sugar and salt.

Split your vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds, very easy to to do.

Put the seeds and the leftover pods into the mix.

Seal up the container and give it a good shake..

And if you have extra helpers, pass it around for more shaking.

And there's your mix!  Store in a dry place for up to 2 months.

Now to make your pudding, take 1/2 cup of your mix..

Place into 2 cups of milk...

Whisk over a medium heat until it thickens and can coat the back of a spoon.

Pour into cups/containers/bowl and refrigerate for up to 4 hours to set, or eat it straight away if you love custard (great over cobbler or stewed fruit!)

 I had one extra, little reward for my helpers (and good sharers too I'm pleased to say!)


Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Seana Smith on June 27, 2012 at 1:26 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Slurp!! Looks great. I am loving making custard in my Thermomix and this would make it even easier. Also am now longer afraid on making white sauce, I was shocking at it before.

I used your recipe roughly for the white choc mousse, but must keep on with it as I'd like something a lot denser... it's a labour of love!!

Seana Smith on June 27, 2012 at 1:28 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This recipe sounds great! Thank you. Do you think I could add vanilla essence when cooking with the milk if I don't have vanilla beans to go in the dry mix?


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015