Wednesday, June 20

Easy and impressive - caramel centred apple cupcakes



When I was in my early twenties I worked and lived in Jersey, Channel Islands.  I worked with a family who lived in my street in London for the summer - as a Nanny.  The Mother of the children's father was the Seigneur of Jersey - which his duty was to present the sovereign two mallards when they visited the island.

The manor was beautiful and had a hedge maze, hounds, horses, a dairy.  Oh the milk was like cream and I used to take the kids up to the dairy each day to collect the milk and pat those beautiful cows which the longest eyelashes you've ever seen!

Of course I partook in the local fare which is jersey caramels.  Oh they are so good there.  I never ate caramels before then and even now when we eat the ones here are aren't even a scratch on those ones I remember my time in Jersey with fondness.  Even the time when I got chicken pox and had to go to the beach each day with the children.  In summer.  Yes, pass the Jersey Caramels please.

Makes 18
Ingredients:
125g butter at room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 large apples, cored and processed or chopped very finely
1/2 cup milk
2 cups self raising flour
18 jersey caramels


Method:
Preheat oven to 190 degrees c

Place butter and brown sugar in a bowl and beat on high speed for 4 minutes - it needs to be light and fluffy.

I used pink lady apples because they are nice a sweet but use what you have - it's a good excuse to use those bruised apples the kids won't touch!

This is in the thermomix for 15 seconds on speed 5.


to your butter/sugar mix add eggs, vanilla (I love the paste!) and milk.  Mix well.

Add apple and flour, mix until combined only.

Look how beautiful it is!

Spoon into cupcake papers and push in a jersey caramel into the centre of each.   I just used the Woolworths homebrand type.

They look so beautiful already!

Bake for 15-17 minutes until the tops are a light golden brown.

They are lovely warm but don't eat them straight out of the oven because my friends, caramel burns!  I put a few in the freezer straight away for the kids because they were swarming!

And yes, they smell as good as you think they will!

And if they are still warm-ish look!   How cool!  (serve them with icecream as dessert if you like!)


Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

CC on June 21, 2012 at 9:09 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm not normally a fan of jersey caramels but I may convert after seeing your recipe. That runny caramel centre looks delicious. I need to make these.

Unknown on August 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Everything looks too yummy and delicious!!


Women jerseys


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015