Monday, June 18

A modern twist on a family staple- Sausage casserole -



My hubby has been sabotaging my efforts in the kitchen of late.  Not intentionally but every time I buy beef mince to go with the sausage mince in my freezer, which is intended for meatloaf, hubby makes nachos.  I really need to label the tupperware containers.  Anyways, I have had the sausage mince from my butcher for a while and I like to get through everything in the freezer so I thought I'd make a sausage casserole.

This one is tasty and saucy and just what you want in a casserole, the potato top makes it an all-in-one-meal.   Add whatever veges you have handy - clean out the crisper!  No side servings, just serve it up and gobble it down.  Kids love sausages and when you tell them there's sausage in and the gravy factor, they will be asking for seconds, trust me.  In hindsight I should have made two - to stash for later.  Very annoyed I didn't now!

Ingredients:
500g sausage mince
(If you don't have a butcher who sells sausage mince on its own just skin your snags!)
1 onion, finely diced
1 large carrot, finely diced
1 stalk of celery, finely diced
2 sprigs thyme
100g butter
100g plain flour (about 1/3 cup)
20g beef stock powder (4 tsp)
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp salt
4 large potatoes, peeled and sliced 

Method:
In batches brown off the sausage mince, wait for it to go golden brown, you want it to be somewhat crispy - adds flavour!

Make a gravy by melting your butter, add your flour and stock powderto make a roux and gradually add 1 litre of water and all the thyme leaves to make a thick gravy.  I made mine in the thermomix - add all ingredients, put on 12 minutes, 90 degrees, speed 4.

This is the bit where I forgot that I hadn't put the blade or the base on my jug! 

Luckily I had rectified this before putting in the water!

After you've finished the sausage mince, add the onions, celery and carrot and lift off any crunchy bits off the bottom of the pan.... transfer when onions and carrots are soft.

Then pour over your gravy.... *drool*  but only say 3/4 of it.. I had a bit extra, I put it in the freezer for the next time I make regular snags..

Place your potatoes on top, swig over a bit of gravy and then sprinkle with pepper and salt.

Turn the oven on to 180 degrees c, place the dish in uncovered and let it bubble away for 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Add it to your meal plan this week, great budget buster!
Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Domestic Adventuress on June 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Good morning - I'd love to make this today as I have some sausages defrosted, but it's not what I want to serve for dinner! How would you recommend stashing this? Do the potatoes freeze OK with the gravy over the top, or is it a fridge-stash only? :)

Liss on June 18, 2012 at 10:00 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Apprentice Domestic GoddessYes of course you can! You could either stash it after it's cooked - or before you bake with the raw potatoes on top. Or you could stash without the potatoes and then top with potatoes when reheating - your choice! Make sure it's sealed well though!

Domestic Adventuress on June 19, 2012 at 7:19 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks so much! :D I'm always wary of raw potato in the freezer, but I know a sauce makes a difference!
PS You've got a Thermomix but you're still using stock powder? I haven't looked back since I made the first chicken stock concentrate batch!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015