Saturday, June 9

Sunday baking project: Cinnamon Kringle


Today I've been back in my groove.  In my kitchen.  Bunch of recipes at the ready, kitchen in various stages of various endeavours at once.  When I get in the kitchen for a day of cooking, I want to make it count.    Today I started with some bread dough and then this dough, and then made dinner, lunch then afternoon tea.    Totally exhausted but very happy.  My frills let me do my thing, helping with the odd spoon here or scoop there... and of course available for every taste test.  My girls are quite canny to be in the right place at the right time for the tasting... must have learned that from their Daddy.

So my friends this recipe I couldn't resist when I saw it over at Just Love Cooking because as long time readers know - dough+cinnamon=Liss is making it.  Mine doesn't look quite as pretty but the taste is amazing.  The cinnamon butter that you put on top at the end gives it a sweet toffee-like crunch.  It's a bit addictive and will wow all those who come in its path.

Get cooking my friends!


Ingredients
120ml milk at room temperature or a little warm
1 tsp dried yeast
30g melted butter
1 egg yolk
2 cups plain flour
1 tbsp sugar
50g butter at room temperature
1/4 cup caster sugar
3 tsp cinnamon


Method:
Place yeast into your milk and allow to sit for about 10 minutes until it foams up a little

Add milk/yeast to a mixing bowl with the egg yolk, sugar and melted butter, mix together and gradually add the flour until you get a soft dough.

Place in a greased bowl and cover with cling film until it doubles in size (in this weather this took 2 hours for me but if you are somewhere warmer around an hour).


Preheat oven to 200 degrees c.
Mix butter, cinnamon and butter together to make a paste.

Roll out your dough into a rectangle and as thin as you can.  Spread 2/3 of the cinnamon butter evenly over the dough.


Roll it up then with a sharp knife, cut it down the centre.

Twist the two pieces by folding over like you would a plait....


Then place on a greased baking tray.  Sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon butter over the top.

 Bake for 30-35 minutes then turn off the oven and let it sit for about 10 minutes.

Dust with icing sugar or just dig in!  My frills were hovering, which is totally expected given the gorgeous waft of cinnamon going through the house!


Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Lisa on June 14, 2012 at 11:13 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Just had to say Thanks for a great recipe, I made this yesterday and everyone loves it - maybe a bit too much!

Lisa on June 14, 2012 at 11:13 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Just had to say Thanks for a great recipe, I made this yesterday and everyone loves it - maybe a bit too much!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015