Friday, January 20

The answer to lots of tomatoes - DIY quickie sundried tomatoes!


Tomatoes are my favourite fruit - I can say that hand on heart.  If anyone told me I had to cut out tomatoes from my diet permanently I think I would probably die of a broken heart.    As a child I used to take whole tomatoes to school instead of apples, yes, my love affair with tomatoes started early.

And anyone who has a vege garden this time of year usually has a glut of tomatoes.  Or those of you who go to farmers markets or just love a bargain at the supermarket may find themselves buying some extra ones.    I have lots of recipes for tomatoes if you have an oversupply - my vege garden is going to be getting a lot of attention this weekend, a wee bit overgrown since we've been away..!!




If you have this problem or just love tomatoes, you can also try these recipes:

Sweet green tomato chutney (seriously amazing, my favourite on cold meats)



Melissa's Passata (Italian base sauce)


Now this one is EASY PEASY.  If you have tomatoes, and you have an oven you can make this in a day or two..  I just fitted this in around my other cooking/baking and did it in two but you could perceivably do this over a day and night.


What you need is:
A baking tray
Baking paper
Tomatoes!
Light Olive oil
Peppercorns
Any herbs or garlic you like..

Method:
Layout your tomatoes on baking tray on baking paper.  If you've got larger tomatoes slice them into 1 inch thickness, no need to cut cherry tomatoes.

Place in the oven at 75 degrees c.  Check on them every 3-4 hours.  After about 12 hours you will need to turn them over and if you have cherry tomatoes squash them down a bit or 'pop' them to assist in them drying out.

Once they are crispy-ish - put into a sterilised jar (I just boil mine in water for 5 minutes with the lid) and then place your tomatoes, peeled garlic, peppercorns (I put in about 15 or so) and fresh stalks of herbs if you like (rosemary and oregano are nice ones to add)..

Fill with oil so everything is moist (about 2/3 full)





Store in the fridge, give it a shake every couple of days.  Good to eat after a week or so.. if you can wait that long!

Are you a tomato lover too?  What's your favourite way with tomatoes!!
Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Bridget on January 20, 2012 at 2:19 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thank you have been looking for something else to do with your tomato's, I have a fridge full of relish already!

Diminishing Lucy on January 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

LOVELY! Love gluts! xx

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm a bit of a novice at storing chutneys and things - can you tell me how long the sundried tomatoes should last unopened in the fridge?

megs - mumontherun on January 22, 2012 at 1:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

YUM!
I've only just started following this blog and I am salivating at just the second post!

I love my tomatoes, yum!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015