Saturday, November 30

Sunday baking project: Festive Rhubarb Cupcakes with stiff cream icing



I'm getting with the Christmas spirit early - in fact I've been in Christmas preparations most of the year believe it or not, as we're going to be in New York City for Christmas this year!  So all the presents for those not coming with us are bought, wrapped and a few remaining to be delivered, and now I'm just starting to get excited!  

I made these today for our work Christmas barbecue tomorrow as  I was asked if I could make a cake. However I think cupcakes are much easier - there's no cutting and you don't need a plate, people can just pick up, and devour. I guess I could have made a Christmas cake or mince pies or something but I think you can overdose on those in the lead up to Christmas - and a lot of kids don't like them so I opted for these.  Rhubarb looks so festive, and tastes so yummy.

I put the Christmas carols on and Eloise and I started to get in the mood: Singing merrily along to 'Jingle Bell Rock' it was lovely!  

So here we go- easy, moist and a crowd pleaser - hope you give them a go!

Ingredients: (makes 24)
Cupcakes
1 bunch (4-5 stalks) rhubarb
200g butter at room temperature
1 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups self raising flour
1/2 cup sour cream

Icing
1 block (250g) philadephia cream cheese
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups whipping cream


Method:
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C

Chop your rhubarb int 1/2 cm chunks or slightly thicker or smaller if you like.

Cream your butter and sugar, add vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time until it's well combined.
Add one cup of flour and mix well on a low speed.

Add sour cream and mix again on a low speed.
Yes, you can try it now if you must!  It looks spectacular - no?

Add your second cup of flour, and mix again on low.

Do NOT mix on high or you cover your kitchen in flour as Eloise discovered (while White Christmas was playing, no less!)

Lastly mix in your rhubarb.

Spoon into lined cupcake tins and bake for 20-25 minutes

I really must swap my trays over half time, the top layer got a bit more of a tan... ;)

Set to cool.

For your icing, whip your cream cheese and sugar together until well combined.

Keep whipping and gradually add your cream

When it becomes heavy and stiff, stop beating.  It should stick to your beater(s) like this and NOT drop.

Push into a piping bag with your desired tip (I used 1M) and get icing your cakes - they need to be COLD when you do this, not even warm... or your cream will melt!

Don't they look pretty?

Sprinkle now if you want to - I found some little sugar trees at a very cool cake supplies shop in Malvern Vic when I was visiting this week

Very festive!


Print this post in friendly format

0 lovely comments:


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015