Saturday, November 23

Super easy gingerbread truffles



Oh my, oh-my-oh-my-OH-MY.  My gingerbread craziness has really kicked in this year and I've been on the hunt for a new recipe for something ginger-bread-y.  

You might have seen my forays into Gingerbread Men, Gingerbread cake, liebkuchen, Dutch Taai Taai and good ol' Gingerbread stars... I'm a gingerbread NUT.  Guilty.  THESE are my favourite discovery this year.  I saw them over at What Megan's Making and thought - hello - we need an Aussie adaptation of THAT, and STAT.

These are very easy to make and look very sweet but actually I think the white chocolate is a great compliment for the PUNCH of flavour you get from the gingernut filling.  Yes.  These are made with good ol' Arnotts gingernut biscuits.... otherwise known as jawbreaker cookies!

Only 3 real ingredients here and you'd never guess it by the taste!

Ingredients:
2 packets arnotts ginger nut biscuits
250g (1 block) philadephia cream cheese
250g white chocolate
Decorations for top if desired.

Method:
In your food processor (or thermomix) process the ginger nut biscuits.  As they are very hard I suggest pulse to start with and then full process.


Then add your cream cheese and process until well combined.  It will resemble moist sand.

Get out some baking paper, and if you have little helpers or are OCD and like everything to be the same-ish size like me - draw a circle on your paper.  This will give your kids a guide to how big the truffles should be.

Get rolling!  Very easy :)

Many hands make light work but sometimes, it's easier doing it with one.. but my girls love gingerbread too so there was no stopping them...

Then melt your white melts - I do mine in the microwave - 1 minute on 50% power, take out, stir, return for another minute on 50% power, stir - if not fully melted put it back for 30 seconds.

Get your decorations at the ready - Megan used some reserved crumble mix, but I used sugar snowflakes for a Christmas touch or you could use silver dragees (or balls) or even sugar balls.  Let your creativity go - or just leave them plain!


With a skewer, dip the balls into the chocolate and cover completely.

Let as much as the chocolate as you can drip off... before placing back on baking paper and add your adornments..

Leave to set for about 20 minutes and store them in the fridge before serving, great for teacher/neighbour gifts and a great little something to take to Christmas drinks or get-togethers.

The taste as I said, is different to what I expected.  The punch of the ginger is perfectly complimented by the white chocolate, it's not overwhelmingly sweet.

Now to give them away before I eat them all... <help>


Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

Unknown on November 24, 2013 at 9:13 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks for this they look Divine...I am a Ginger Fan Too

Unknown on November 24, 2013 at 3:54 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks Retro Mummy, for directing us to this site. Will definitely give this a go!

ZestyMel on December 2, 2013 at 8:45 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These are fabulous! I don't believe you are as OCD as I am until you make your child weigh each ball...

Andrea Enright on December 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss, I made these Christmas Eve and my husband ADORED them. He liked them so much that he wants them made every single Christmas. Lucky for me they were so easy!

And I love your blog- will definitely be following to keep up with your fabulous recipes and adorable littles!

With love and Merry Christmas! - Babysitter Andrea :)

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh i love ginger and these look so lovely to put on a plate of Christmas goodies to share with my friends and family
thanks you
Merry Christmas

Stephen on December 13, 2015 at 8:29 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These look so easy, I think the addition of finely diced chocolate coated glace ginger would be delicious


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015