Thursday, November 3

Nutella and Oat Cookies


Sometimes you just need chocolate. There's not chocolate in the house at all times, but sometimes you'll resort to eating the cooking chocolate, a spoonful of milo or a spoonful of nutella... right?   Right?? (please play along with me... OK?)

This recipe I found on the interwebs and set out to the supermarket here in Manila to get it happening - the original recipe called for hazelnuts but I didn't realise until I got home, that in fact I had bought walnuts.. oops. but they still taste great!

What I like about this recipe is because I'm kitchen-aid-less (sob) these don't require a mixer and it's pretty simple to put together.  Of course these aren't really lunchbox treats but are great for afternoon tea or weekend treats - I put most of mine in the freezer in a ziplock bag for when I get that chocolate hankering... as you do.

Ingredients:
2/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup nutella
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups plain flour
3 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1/4 cup roughly chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chocolate chips

Method:
Preheat oven to 190 degrees c

In one bowl mix the oil, nutella, eggs and vanilla extract until smooth.

In another bowl add the oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarb soda, walnuts (or hazelnuts) and choc-chips..

Pour the wet ingredients into dry.  Mix well with a spoon.

Spoon onto greased baking trays

Bake for 12 minutes, leave to cool on trays then transfer to cooling rack to completely cool.

Don't they look yummy?  They taste surprisingly not-so-bad for you - I think that's the oats..


Print this post in friendly format

12 lovely comments:

Denyse Whelan. on November 3, 2011 at 10:22 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love that you have a kitchen where you are living in Manila.
Thank goodness for that!
I love too, that you found a recipe and even photographed it...for the blog.
A little bit of home from OS. May try that recipe too.
The oats, yes, they make it a healthy (kinda) snack.
Take care...nearly December!!
Denyse

Diminishing Lucy on November 3, 2011 at 1:30 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I am so tring these: thanks Liss. Huge Nutella fans here! That you are baking in Manilla is lovely.... Xx

Dawnee on November 4, 2011 at 7:43 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh my goodness! I can't WAIT to try these! I love Nutella!

Maryandlil on November 4, 2011 at 8:20 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I was wondering where you were!!! mmm these look yummy and in fact Jonah has been asking for nuttella all week so tomorrow I think Ill go buy some and make him these! xxx

Sophie on November 7, 2011 at 11:30 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Nutella goodness! I want to try this out aswell. Thanks for the recipe! :)

Good Apps on November 16, 2011 at 1:08 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Federico D'Alvia on November 17, 2011 at 3:00 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks great!!!
I will try to change the Nutella for Dulce de leche, which is something similar to peanut butter but without any peanut, here in Argentina. Because the Nutella is insanely expensive here and I will make the cookies for too many people.
Thanks for the recipe!!!

Unknown on November 22, 2011 at 9:47 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh boy, yummo!!

Spencer on November 25, 2011 at 3:12 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I agree, sometimes you just need chocolate! Seems like you made a wise choice there.

Mollers Down Under on December 19, 2011 at 12:13 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

All I can say is this look YUMMIE!!! I just HAVE To try it!

Anne said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi there, I keep logging in to see if you are back but alas! I hope everything is well and that we get to see more of your yummy recipes in the New Year. Merry Christmas! Anne

Hotly Spiced on December 29, 2011 at 8:16 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Nutella is a stable in our pantry. Great to find another recipe that uses this priceless ingredient.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015