Tuesday, November 6

Malted choc-chip cookies!


I've just returned from 4 weeks away from home (yes, really - it was very l-o-n-g and tiring!) and I had my first bout of South-East-Asia-Tummy bug too... but on recovery at home I found myself craving some home cooking and obviously spending time with my frills was the major priority.. so we got on to baking..

I'm still getting used to my new kitchen but I have to say, I love the double oven!   I had dinner baking in the top oven and I made cookies in the bottom oven, you have to love that !  

Eloise was my helper, look how big she's got!  8 years old, her face if finally growing into her teeth (you know how they get their big teeth and they seem too big for their faces?) and she absolutely loves to cook.  She prepares her own breakfast and when I'm home I let her make my toast, and she's always keen to lend a hand if something needs to be cooked.

This recipe is from the lovely Ree, bless her cotton-socks-in-cowgirl-boots.  These cookies are foolproof and seriously chewy.  And I love me a chewy cookie.


Ingredients:
250g butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup  sugar
2 tbs vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/2 cup malt powder (you can find it near the milo at the supermarket)
2 cups plain flour
1 1/4 tsp bicarb soda
1 packet (yes a whole packet!) chocolate chips

Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c

Cream your butter, meaning whip it until it turns pale yellow.  This is a great job for an 8 year old to monitor..  I even let her turn the kitchenAid on, and slowly turn it down..

Add the sugars and give it a good beating, ensuring the mixture is well combined and fluffy, 

Get your assistant if you have one to crack the eggs, if they can't crack eggs, crack them into a cup and get them to pour them in.   All my girls can crack eggs now, it's their favourite part!

And pour in the vanilla extract, mix on a low speed until combined.

It should be lovely and wet..

Then add your dry ingredients - malt powder, flour and baking powder.  I folded it a little with the spatula first so it didn't create a flour-storm in my kitchen.. there's a good tip for you!

Mix it on a medium speed, at this point it looks and smells like you need to eat it at that moment, but believe me, you should wait..

Add your bag of chocolate chips.. one or two may go missing.. just saying..

Phwoar!  It's ready!

They don't seem to grow out of this.. hell what am I saying, I still love to do this! Don't you!?

Put on greased trays (I've used silpat liners, love these!) spread apart because these babies spread!  I placed mine about 10cm apart and the size of small ping-pong balls.

Kids love watching them spread and bake, but according to them it makes them bake slower - but between you and me, it makes no difference - about 12 minutes..

Cool on the tray for 3-5 minutes then transfer to cooling rack.  Made me 22 cookies about 10cm diameter.

They are great cooled but out of this WORLD warm.


Print this post in friendly format

0 lovely comments:


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015