Monday, November 12

Lunchbox Legends: Choc-chip cinnamon muesli bars



My kids don't often ask me for packaged lunchbox treats but something that does come up from time to time is 'what do those choc-chip muesli bars taste like Mummy?'  It's the not-so-subtle way my frills let me know they would like something that their friends have and hope that I buy them.  But their plan failed, kind of.

I decided I would make them.  Now I've made a good many muesli bars in my time but none with choc-chips.  My main complaint about muesli bars is they have the tendency to either crumble or stick, or both.  These ones I added a little more flour, and they are kind of muesli bar-ish and kind of slice-ish.  But they are easy-peasy to make and easy-peasy to get out of the tin.  Win-win if you ask me.

And the verdict from my frills this afternoon.  It seems they were so good I didn't even get to take a photo.  Gone.  Like that.  They did offer to eat another one, you know... just for the photo... ahem.

The recipe makes 24, and I've put them in the freezer, individually wrapped in a bit of baking paper.  Easy for hubby to get out and put in the lunchboxes in the morning.

Ingredients:
2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp powdered cinnamon
3/4 cup choc-chips
1 egg
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method:
Preheat oven to 175 degrees c

In a large bowl mix your dry ingredients:  Oats, sugar, flour, cinnamon, choc-chips

Make sure they are well combined!  Make a well in the centre and add your honey.   Then in your cup measure, add the canola oil, egg and vanilla extract, give it a quick whisk with a fork.

Pour the contents of the cup measure, into the well with the honey and combine the wet with the dry.  Don't be tempted to add more wet ingredients, if it's not combined enough, mix it in with your hands.

Like I did!

Press into a well greased slice tin 

Bake for 35 minutes.


Let it sit for about 30 minutes to cool before slicing up, I do mine with the end of my egg flip.. they should easily lift out.

If you want to store these, cut up your baking paper.  I roll mine a few times and cut them all at once.  I'm a bit of a cheat like that..


Wrap them up and get ready for the hungry hoardes to come and eat them!

Place them in airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months, or in the pantry for say 4-5 days.

No nuts either !  Perfect for the school ground!
Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Aicha Dalgic on November 20, 2012 at 8:39 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Whooaaaa this sounds insanely

delicious! Great recipe!

i love your blog !


you are welcome in my blog !!

kisses from belguim

bisous bisous

www.fraise-framboise.blogspot.com

Mumma Kate on February 11, 2013 at 5:53 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Making my second batch, my 7 year old was very distressed telling me they'd had the last two from the last batch for lunch today! Have tried them with white choc chips and craisins for something different and a few sunflower seeds too, will see how they go. Thanks :-)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015