Sunday, February 19

Quick snack solution - DIY microwave popcorn - in under 3 minutes!


No special bags.
No extra ingredients.
You just need a paper lunch bag and...
1/2 cup popcorn kernels!

Oh, and a microwave!

When I think about the times I have caved in and bought microwave popcorn from the supermarket because I was in a hurry or just wanted to avoid the oil/washing up I'm a bit annoyed with myself now.  I needn't have bothered!   I can see this being the easy way for morning teas on mornings I find myself short of stash lunchbox legends or we are going to watch a family movie.  I just can't get over how simple it is.

And you don't oil!

Of course you could melt some butter and mix it through afterwards and shake a little salt through it, or cinnamon or whatever you love but for my kids, they didn't even ask!


Step 1
Pour 1/2 cup popcorn kernels into a paper lunch bag (the kernels cost about $1 for about 2.5 cups - I just used homebrand paper bags)
 Fold the edges over, my tip is the second time I made this I made the creases shorter, and doubled it over three times...



Pop in the microwave - depending on the wattage of your microwave up to 3 minutes.  Mine is 1100W and it took 2 mins 20seconds to make it PPPEEERFECT.  The lower the wattage, the longer you need to leave it in.

Watching it won't make it pop faster, but it amuses small people.  Olivia grabbed a chair to watch...

Voila!

How easy is THAT!!??

 Hungry hoardes dig in!

Recipe sourced from http://www.squawkfox.com

Print this post in friendly format

7 lovely comments:

Diminishing Lucy on February 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

TOTALLY trying...xx

Narelle on February 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I just bought popcorn yesterday - will definitely try using the microwave. Thanks =)

Christie on February 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh wow, who knew!!? Too easy, thanks Liss, I think this is going in the kids lunchboxes tomorrow.

tania@mykitchenstories on February 20, 2012 at 8:18 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

How stupid do I feel. Always buy this as a quick snack for the teenager and always wondered what else they add into those pre-prepared bags.

CC on February 20, 2012 at 7:12 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

It's an easy and healthy snack. We recently got onto this method too (although the first time I did it I then covered it in caramel)). I am impressed by how clean your microwave looks.

Seana Smith on February 21, 2012 at 10:43 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Blimey! Why weren't we told!! Thanks for revealing all Liss, that'll save cash and calories!

Maid In Australia on February 28, 2012 at 1:19 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

A lovely friend shared the secret with me a few years ago. Wishing I had thought to do the same now. Still ... the more the merrier! And healthier!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015