Friday, February 24

Chocolate cake mix cookies!



Now I'm the first person to say 'ditch the packet mix' and this isn't usually something that I would have in my cupboard, but my friend and college Nancy from the USA and loves to bake recommended I make these as she was suprised with the results... and you know I just had to know.

The results are pretty good actually.  A bit cake-y, a bit biscuit-y, a bit brownie-ish actually but over all really really easy and really, really chocolatey.  So if you're a chocolate lover these could be your ticket.  They freeze well too - so you could, if you like, take them out, put them in the microwave for 20 or so seconds and serve them with icecream..  oh was I bad for suggesting that?

You could use any cake mix you like, I used a mud cake mix because I wanted the chocolately chocolate-ness.  But you could get any chocolate cake mix.  It's all about the consistency really.



Ingredients:
1 packet cake mix
2 eggs
125g soft butter
1/4 cup plain flour (you may need less or more depending on the consistency/size of your cake mix)

Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees c

In a bowl, mix all ingredients.

The consistency should be like clay, it should stick together but also have a bit of firm-ness to it.  Add flour as you need to.  If you add too much flour, add a little milk until you get the right mix.
Roll them up into balls about 1.5 inch diameter.

Place on a greased tray (or one sprayed with canola oil) and press down slightly.

Bake for 10-15 minutes, then leave to cool on tray for 10-15 minutes.

Cool (or serve with cold milk warm - YUM!)

Irresistible to a six year old !!! (and a forty year old!)

Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Maxabella on February 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Bit cakey, bit biscuity, bit browniey? I'm there!!

If we didn't want to use a packet mix, we could also just add the extra flour to a cake batter? Maybe?

x

Liss on February 25, 2012 at 12:45 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I reckon you could Bron, but I guess with the choc mud mix it's a bit more chocolately than you can make at home if that makes sense? It's also a lot cheaper than buying A LOT of chocolate to get the same result with a home-made cake mix (i.e. I find I usually get the best chocolate taste by using 90% dark quality chocolate)

JenniferB on February 25, 2012 at 2:06 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These look like my "Chocolate Snowballs"... Just dredge the balls HEAVILY with icing sugar before baking and they stay white with the little brown cracks showing through as they spread. Packaged in a cellophane bag, they look good enough to have come from a gourmet shop!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015