Sunday, April 26

Baked Sweet Potato with saucy bacon puy lentils and sour cream



Now I originally didn't think to blog this, because you know, I'm kind of out of practice.  I just make things.  I look at what I have in the pantry/fridge, what needs to get used and ask myself 'what do I feel like?'.  You might have noticed from my previous two posts that veges are something I'm really enjoying and if I'm honest I could handle eating vegetarian at least half of the week.  But I don't think my family can do that, well not for an extended period anyway...

I had some sweet potatoes in the pantry and below them on the shelf below were a packet of  puy lentils.   I remembered the amazing puy lentils I ate at Jamie Olivers' restaurant like almost seven years ago and thought I want to make them... but I didn't exactly find a recipe so I just started mucking around with flavours I liked.

This turned out way better than I could have even imagined and I'm a little pleased with myself to be honest.  We had it for lunch today and the whole family (well apart from Laura who doesn't like sweet potato) devoured and agreed I could make this again... (Laura loved the lentils!)

So please excuse there aren't as many photos as I would have liked but when I make this again I'll add them... promise!

Ingredients:
5 medium baked potatoes (you can get some large ones and cut in half, just as many as you would like)
2 tsp oil
salt
1 large onion diced
1 carrot diced
1 stick celery diced
1 clove garlic, sliced
5 pc short cut bacon sliced
200g puy lentils (use red, brown or yellow lentils if you can't find puy)
generous lashings of pepper
1 sprig rosemary
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
1 litre beef stock
tb plain flour


Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees c
Prick your sweet potato with a fork say 5/6 times
Place each sweet potato on a piece of alfoil big enough to completely roll it up an cover in
sprinkle some olive oil and salt on to potato, wrap and put on tray into the oven.

Soak lentils in bowl, ensure covered with water.

In a large open pan that has a lid,  place onions, carrot, celery, bacon, garlic and remaining olive oil over medium heat, and heat stirring occasionally until carrot becomes soft

Drain lentils and rinse, add to pan along with 500ml of the beef stock, add rosemary and bayleaves.   Turn heat down to a simmer and put the lid on for about 20-25 minutes, the stock will reduce.

After 25 minutes add the remaining stock and parsley with lots and lots of pepper.  Simmer away for another 10 minutes before sprinkling flour over the top and mixing through for the last five minutes to thicken up.


By now, your sweet potatoes should be cooked, unwrap onto your plate and poke with a fork to expose some of the flesh, you want your lentils mix to seep inside.





Finish with a dollop of light sour cream and serve! Filling and healthy!







































Is this something you could see yourself eating?
Print this post in friendly format

0 lovely comments:


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015