Monday, June 9

The most freaking awesome cookies I've ever made (aka cake batter choc-chip funfetti cookies)


I love that kind of cookie that looks crispy on the outside and is chewy and soft on the inside.  Reminds me of Anzac biscuits served at the local David Jones food hall as a child... As we would come down the escalator and the smell of those cookies baking would summon me to whine at my mother 'Muuuuummm... can we buy a biscuit? PLEEEEEASE?????'.  I'm sure my mother would have been cursing David Jones' cunning marketing plan.

When I saw these cookies on Sally's blog it reminded me of those cookies - soft on the inside, crispy on the outside.. so I've bookmarked the recipe but then I finally took the plunge and bought her book. Well, these amazing looking biscuits are even on the cover!


I mean it's A SIGN.  They look so fun and delicious and definitely not something I'd make every week or anything but every now and again you just have to make something a little bit naughty.

So then I made them.  I just can't explain.  I have eaten waay too many.  I still have some in the pantry but I want to make them again! They are just the perfect cookie.  Please believe me here - they are awesome!  The perfection of crispy on the outside, chewy-soft on the inside.  The cake batter gives them a really fab flavour - it's like having a really good piece of birthday cake in a cookie.  Perfect.

Ingredients:
180g butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
190g butter cake mix
190g plain flour
1 tsp bicarb soda
1/2 cup white choc chips
1/2 cup milk choc chips
1/2 cup funfetti/sprinkles

Method:

In a mixer, combine the butter and brown and caster sugar together until it becomes a creamy consistency.  About 1 1/2 minutes on speed 2 if you have a kitchenaid..

Then add your egg and vanilla and mix again for about 30 seconds.

Sift in the cake mix, flour and bicarb soda.  The original recipe calls for these ingredients in cup size but when I weighed them out they were different to the weights provided, so I thought it best to go with the weights, given that cake mixes can be different from mix-to-mix.  I used homebrand butter cake mix.


Mix again, it will become silky-smooth.

Now take off the mixer and with a spatula or spoon, mix in the choc-chips and funfetti/sprinkles.

As Sally says: 'Don't overmix'

Then you need to torture yourself and put all the mix in a zip-lock bag in the fridge for at least 2 hours.. up to 2 days if you want to make this ahead of time.

When you're ready to bake, pre-heat your oven to 175 degrees c and line your baking trays with baking paper or silicone mats.

Take the mix out of the fridge and let it slightly warm (about 10 minutes) and then spoon out into roughly the diameter of a 50c piece.  I used a small icecream scoop to help me get them even..

Roll them up and place on the baking tray with room to spread.  I could fit 9 cookies on a cookie sheet.

Bake for 10-12 minutes until slightly browned, but still 'blonde'.  Take out of the oven and cool for about 10 minutes before placing on cooling rack.

Have one at this stage, you won't regret it, and you might not be able to stop at one either.

When I gave one to my hubby his exact words were 'You are not allowed to make these EVER again - they are sooo good!!'.  Something tells me I'll not only be allowed, but I will be requested to make these again!   These would be great gifts too!

Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Mishelle G on June 10, 2014 at 9:07 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My daughter loves to make these!! And I eat far too many of them after she does.

M

Mishelle G on June 10, 2014 at 9:08 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My daughter loves to make these!! And I too eat far too many afterwards.

M


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015