Sunday, May 3

Maurices fruit bread







Good ol Covid-19 and working from home has brought some unexpected and pleasant surprises.  In fact I'm probably one of the few who is actually quite happy with the situation of working from home and not going out too much.  I'm grateful for the dinners I get to spend at home with my frills and hubby, the ten-pace commute to my office and the fact that I can blog!

The other cool thing about it all is that I"m interacting with my colleagues in new and interesting ways.  I'm very lucky to work in an organisation that has a healthy and nurtured culture where caring for the employees is not just a catch-phrase - it is how it works.   As a leader in our business I'm fiercely protective of that... anyhoo we're pretty active on slack and we use Zoom like the rest of the world but we think nothing of people needing to 'duck out for a few hours to kid-wrangle' and at times we even get guest appearances by the kids too!   I love it.  We're all accepting we're human.

I started a cooking slack channel too and it's going gang-busters!  I love seeing what other people are cooking and with our diverse workforce there are some amazing curries, rice dishes and sweets... it's sometimes a bit distracting though if you're hungry...

This recipe is one such recipe - shared by my colleague Maurice - he shared a pic of his bread and I had to and I mean HAD TO have the recipe.. and he thankfully shared, and now I'm sharing it with you !

It takes some time but it's very little effort - no kneading and I popped it on in the morning and went about my day.   House smells amazing!

Ingredients:
3 cups plain flour
1 tsp salt
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp dry yeast
1.5 cups warm water
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
cup chopped mixed dry fruit - I've used dates, raisins, cranberries and figs


Method:

Start with your flour and add salt and cinnamon.   In a separate bowl or jug add yeast to warm water.

Add sunflower and pumpkin seeds



Chop up your fruit.






Add fruit to the flour and mix well ensuring your fruit isn't stuck together.

Add your yeasty water.


Mix it together with a spoon or your hands.   Don't be too concerned if it's wet, it's meant to be.  Put in a warm place for 3 hours it will roughly double in size.   At the two hour mark, heat your oven to 230 degrees c and pop your dutch oven or heavy lidded oven proof pot into the oven with the lid on.


It will be a bit fluffy after the three hours.



Pour out onto floured surface and shape into a ball.  Do not knead.


Pop the dough onto some baking paper and place into the hot dutch oven, then return to the oven and drop the heat to 200degrees c and bake for 30 minutes with the lid on.

After that 30 minutes, take the lid off and bake for an additional 30 minutes.

Lastly, take the bread out of the dutch oven, put onto flat tray and back into the oven for a last 15 minutes then place on bench to cool.


Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Bronwyn on May 3, 2020 at 4:44 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Not very good with yeasty baking but may try this


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015