Wednesday, May 20

Apple, Custard and Cinnamon Tea Cake






With kids going back to school next week, I'm feeling a bit anxious.  I think it's partly just part of releasing my precious frills to the risks, which hopefully are low.  Some of it is probably a bit of separation anxiety, I will just miss having several touch points with them a day and lastly I think it also means that the 'going back to norm' means it's getting more likely I'll have to wear work clothes and not slippers every day and I'll be braving commutes to and from work in a nearish future.   It's just change, and there's always adjustments..

So I'm getting in some home-baking whilst I can.  My work schedule is chaotic but I quickly whipped this up and put it in the oven in a small break between meetings and it does take 1.5 hours to cook so worked well into my schedule.

Smells amazing too whilst it's cooking - I mean seriously is there nothing better on a cold day at home than beautiful smells coming from your kitchen?

I adapted this recipe from taste.com.au  They use coconut and no cinnamon in theirs.  But you know me... cinnamon... mmmmmm......

You have some choices - stew your own apples or buy tinned apples (I keep them in the pantry to have with yoghurt) buy custard or make your own (I made mine in the thermomix in 8 mins) . swap out the apples for pears, peaches, apricots....  apricot and coconut would be delish....

Ingredients:
150g butter softened
2/3 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups self raising flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup custard
2 cups (400g) stewed apples
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Method
Preheat oven to 160 degrees c

Grease and line tray (I used a square tin) with baking paper

Cream your butter with sugar - if your butter isn't softened, grate it... (confuse your kids that you are making cake with cheese) .




and then add your eggs and vanilla.  Don't be concerned if it looks like this.



Remove from your mixer and spoon in 1 cup of flour and stir through.     Then add 3/4 cup milk and combine.



Do another cup of flour and the rest of the milk, then the last half cup of flour.  Your batter is ready.







































Spoon half your batter into the pan, spread into the corners.

Add half your apple and all your cinnamon, then half the custard.







































Add rest of your batter and then apple and custard on top, spread it to the corners.






































Pop into the oven for 90 minutes.

Remove - let cool..for about 15 minutes (or as long as you like it's nice warm or cold)





Lash it lovingly with custard or eat it on its' own!
Print this post in friendly format

0 lovely comments:


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015