Friday, May 15

FrillyFrugalFriday: The next level of frugality.


I think I practice pretty good frugality skills.

But I could be better. I intend to every Friday demonstrate to myself (and you!) how I've been frugal in the week. Also giving some thought to tallying up all my receipts... to give me something to aim to better each month. Join me if you wish!

Some frugal things I've done this week:

1. Dried some Queensland Blue and Butternut Pumpkin seeds and put into envelopes with dates - ready for planting next spring.

2. I did not use the clothes dryer at all this week.

3. Went to the fruit market at the end of our Street Sunday morning - it's when they put out their boxes of bruised/imperfect produce for next to nicks - fruit box of about 6kg of potatoes for $3.99 - larger sized box of granny smith and red delicious apples, red bartlett and comice pears and meyer lemons for $7.99, about 4kg bananas for $2.99 and 6 limes for $2.99 (as opposed to regular price of 3 for $5!) and 3kg of pumpkins for $2.50. I made pumpkin soup from that and salvaged the seeds to do No. 1. So what we haven't eaten this week I'm cooking with or stewing tomorrow. The potatoes I'm making up a bulk lot of mash for use on cottage pies and quick-meals, some gratin potatoes and a skinny salmon potato bake - all for the freezer. Nothing will go to waste!

4. No takeaway this week at all. Used bread from freezer that we bought on special.

5. I did the whole Shannon Lush method of cleaning my stovetop too - worked a treat - bicarb soda and sprinkled it with white vinegar. Will definitely be cleaning the oven this week the same way... it's amazing!
There's some great tips here at Mama Bear's blog Gotta Little Space to Fill. "How to be Frugal"

"Use It Up, Wear It Out, Make It Do or Do Without"
~household quote during the Great Depression~

Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

SamJJJ on May 15, 2009 at 8:52 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Good stuff! I should learn something from you, I'm trying here and there where I can to try and save a few dollars, (and time usually too!) love this post for it's ideas :)

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella on May 16, 2009 at 10:51 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

They're all great ideas and none to be sneezed at! Some of them are also great for the environment too which is an added bonus :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015