Thursday, July 3

Aunty Becky's Thai pumpkin soup



Those of you in the Southern Hemisphere who are freezing at the moment or sick or even on the verge of sickness, this is for you my friends.   I spent the past few weeks in and out of Melbourne and this week in Sydney I've really been feeling the cold which is because a) I'm run down and getting sick  b) I'm being a bit of a princess or c) a+b.

My sister gave me this recipe a few weeks ago reporting that all my nieces loved it.   My Olivia, known widely as the anti-pumpkin-brigade will not eat our wonderful regular low-fat pumpkin soup or even Jamie Olivers' pumpkin soup (that worked for a little while though!).  I thought if I let her know that her cousins eat this soup and it's her Aunty Becky's recipe I might have a chance.  Isn't it funny how kids don't eat food you cook but someone else can cook the same thing and they will eat it?  Annoying isn't it?

I've made this twice now and I do get initial rumblings from Olivia but they are short-lived and she does eat it - probably because it doesn't taste overly-pumpkin-y and because it's Aunty Becky's recipe and not mine.  I'll take what I can get to get the veges into my kids!  Eloise and Laura love this one, no complaints at all!

You can make this as spicy as you like, depending on your tastes and those you are serving to.   I spiced mine up a bit because my girls are used to it but you may want to cut the curry paste in half if you have some sensitive taste buds out there :)

I also upped my sister's recipe in quantities because I selfishly want extras for work!  

Ingredients:
1.5 butternut pumpkins, skins cut off, seeds removed and diced
3 small brown onions or 1.5 large ones
4 kaffir lime leaves, stalks removed and thinkly sliced (or crumbled if dried)
2 tb red curry paste
2 large garlic cloves
2 tb brown sugar
2 tb fish sauce
1 litre vegetable or chicken stock
1 400ml tin coconut cream
coriander leaves to serve



Method:
In a heavy saucepan or pot heat some olive oil and sauté your onions and kaffir lime leaves, add curry paste and keep stirring until your onion becomes soft and transparent.

Add your pumpkin, please do make sure they are in small-ish cubes, it takes less time to cook the smaller they are...

Once the pumpkin has had a good covering of the curry paste and onion/kaffir lime - add sugar, garlic and fish sauce.  Stir well.

Lastly add your stock.  It should cover your pumpkin entirely.


Cook for about 20-25 minutes with a lid on, at simmer temperature.  You are ready for the next step when your pumpkin is completely soft.

Transfer your mixture in lots to a blender, add coconut cream and puree until smooth.  You may even want to use a stick blender in the original pot..

If you've used an upright blender, transfer batches back to pot and give a good stir.

Serve with crusty bread!

This would warm the cockles of anyone! Enjoy!


Print this post in friendly format

0 lovely comments:


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015